1/2 Dozen Down

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is the second night of eradication in the pecan orchards. We had a NNW wind and the entrance is on the North side so the wind was at our backs. I was hoping the hogs would be on the East side of the property and we could sneak in a little ways at least. NOPE. They were right in the road and knew we were there, but not what we were. They didn't spook right away, but got anxious and decided to head out. Eric and I had already made our stalk and simply side stepped to avoid having to shoot around a couple of gates.

I was using the Armasight Predator again and am continually impressed by this little scope. We were able to connect on a hog (shows up as a pixelated blob) at 250-300 yards. I don't have a solid range number with a range finder so I won't say a specific distance. I would say the realistic useable shooting distance with this scope is 150-175 yards. Beyond that it's hard to distinctly ID your target and place an accurate shot. With hogs and eradication hunting I'm not overly concerned with that, but if I was using it for another animal I would not have stretched out the range.

I tried to explain in the video the way digital zoom works. To make it more clear. The magnification of the glass in the Predator is 1.6x. It can be digitally doubled 2X for 3.2x or quadrupled for 6.4X. Armasight claims 8x, but I don't know how their math works and I very well could be wrong. Most advertisements claim 2-8x25, but if you get the word from the horses mouth Armasight Predator 336 2-8x25 (30 Hz) it says 1.6X. Each time the digital zoom is raised the image quality is reduced. This is happens with all thermal scopes on the market today.

Overall, I had a great hunt and have enjoyed using the Predator. Hope you enjoy the video.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another one coming in for some chocolate.

Good shooting, yup, looks like a nice scope indeed. Nice of TCT to allow their product to get showcased with field use.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
RD, I think you are right. Time for me to switch to garlic flavored pickles or something. Do hogs like garlic?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'll bet they anything spelled "feed". LOL

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck of a video, you all had pork running everywhere!!! There be hog there!! One of those looked like a tank in the picture?? Nice going and a GOOD ON YA!!! BANG BANG!!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Love it when they squeal like that, music to my ears.

But man that's alot of pork!!!!

I will be getting thermal in a month or two very soon too. Just need to finish gathering funds and make a decision in the unit. Didn't help at the LSB meet and greet, since I like the most expensive unit in the table. O well it is just money.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you between Houston and San Antone/ what area are you in:)?? BANG BANG!!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video, good shooting! You're making me want a predator!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I live around Abilene, but hunt a few surrounding areas.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video and thanks for posting ... happy hunting!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is a bunch of dead hogs for a really good price point.

nice work

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another very nice video with really nice shooting Alex. Damn that is a lot of hogs running around in one spot!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That orchard consistently produces huge sounders. Wish I could hit more then 4or 5 at a time. Dang things keep running so close I end up defending myself instead of trying for multiple targets.