Wiley Coyote strikes again...

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Last Friday I got home a little later than normal and a coyote ran out of my back yard. Apparently the wifes dog is/was in heat. Well my border colie is old, but it looked like she whipped on him good since there was yote fur everywhere in the back yard. I ran inside, grab the 223, and run out past the barn in the direction the dog ran. I have an open farm field that he would have to cross that is about 800yds of fun. Get out there and no dog. WTH?? He wasn't booking it, just trotting off last I saw him. So I climbed on top of the hay stack thinking he might be hurt and laying down in the field. Low and behold the little bugger is laying on the far side of the stack!! I tossed the gun up and he bolted, right around the end of the hay stack. So I charge over to that side thinking he is making a break for the vineyard (40yds in the other direction from the farm field), but nope he is still stuck to the side of the hay stack and rounds the far side as I try to line up a shot. We did that one more time before I bailed off the stack and ran in the opposite direction thinking I would catch him, but when I rounded the corner all I saw was his tail disappearing into the barn. ****!!! I have 3 new born calves and their heifer mothers in there (first calf heifers are a bit crazy so I keep them close by to watch over them), sounds like Animal Farm's version of WW3 in there. Fat, out of shape, and out of breath, it takes me a second to get there. That dog was getting his tail handed to him on a silver platter by 2 of the 3 1000lbs heifers, the 3rd was laying down watching everything (like I said, they get a little weird), I cant line up a shot without risking a cow, and it looks like they are going to take care of things for me anyway, so I just hung out to watch. Well yote caught a lucky kick that tossed him through the manger, which got him away from the cattle and out of my sight. So I run around to the other side of the barn (I wasn't about to get in the them killer cows at that point!!) to go finish the sack of jello that I thought would be laying there, low and behold he is mach 9 working his way to lightspeed heading for the brush, almost 400yds out in the farm field. I winged 4 or 5 after him, but after all the running around I couldn't hit him to save my life. Ill catch him later, they cant resist coming into harass my dogs.

I need to pony up and get a FoxPro or other good call and start a serious eradication program, but damn, those things are pricy!!

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Last Friday I got home a little later than normal and a coyote ran out of my back yard. Apparently the wifes dog is/was in heat. Well my border colie is old, but it looked like she whipped on him good since there was yote fur everywhere in the back yard. I ran inside, grab the 223, and run out past the barn in the direction the dog ran. I have an open farm field that he would have to cross that is about 800yds of fun. Get out there and no dog. WTH?? He wasn't booking it, just trotting off last I saw him. So I climbed on top of the hay stack thinking he might be hurt and laying down in the field. Low and behold the little bugger is laying on the far side of the stack!! I tossed the gun up and he bolted, right around the end of the hay stack. So I charge over to that side thinking he is making a break for the vineyard (40yds in the other direction from the farm field), but nope he is still stuck to the side of the hay stack and rounds the far side as I try to line up a shot. We did that one more time before I bailed off the stack and ran in the opposite direction thinking I would catch him, but when I rounded the corner all I saw was his tail disappearing into the barn. ****!!! I have 3 new born calves and their heifer mothers in there (first calf heifers are a bit crazy so I keep them close by to watch over them), sounds like Animal Farm's version of WW3 in there. Fat, out of shape, and out of breath, it takes me a second to get there. That dog was getting his tail handed to him on a silver platter by 2 of the 3 1000lbs heifers, the 3rd was laying down watching everything (like I said, they get a little weird), I cant line up a shot without risking a cow, and it looks like they are going to take care of things for me anyway, so I just hung out to watch. Well yote caught a lucky kick that tossed him through the manger, which got him away from the cattle and out of my sight. So I run around to the other side of the barn (I wasn't about to get in the them killer cows at that point!!) to go finish the sack of jello that I thought would be laying there, low and behold he is mach 9 working his way to lightspeed heading for the brush, almost 400yds out in the farm field. I winged 4 or 5 after him, but after all the running around I couldn't hit him to save my life. Ill catch him later, they cant resist coming into harass my dogs.

I need to pony up and get a FoxPro or other good call and start a serious eradication program, but damn, those things are pricy!!
But worth every penny!!! Thanks for the story Aspp.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Somehow I dont think he will be a problem at your house again lol.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I dont know TLM. There is a 3 legged one that I shot 2 different times I keep seeing. The 40gr Nosler BT Lead frees don't expand fast enough for coyotes, or my 1-7 twist holds them together. I have some 36gr Barnes VGs loaded up to try on him next time I see him though....
The all copper TSX and TTSX bullets are too tough for dogs, they act like really expensive FMJs, but if you punch a bone they work ok. Im hoping the Varmint Granades will work better. I hate run offs. If these don't work Im selling the 223 upper and going to start looking for a AR10 in 243 or see if I can find someone to sell me their 6BRX upper (ya right). Stupid green ammo laws, all the good working bullets out there and I cant hunt with them....

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
great story! I was LOL all the way!

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
We have family staying with us this week, well at twilight last night the Colie lit into another yote in the backyard. Of course Im in the shower for all of this. Jump out wrap a towel around my lily white ass, get my hat (I feel neked without it) and run outside with the 223. I got two 3/4 grown pups and hardshot a 3rd bigger dog that ran off. As I walk back inside I got called Elmer Fudd. By the wife. The sister-in-law was laughing to hard to speak. No respect, at all. Elmer was a horrible shot and always missed, I hit 2 for 3....

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
WE WANT PICS!

Well maybe not...lol

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
WE WANT PICS!

Well maybe not...lol
Trust me you don't. Ill walk out into the field tonight and see if I can get you some pictures of rotting yotes, but Im not touching the mangey, flea covered, bastards.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I need to pop some off my lease also.

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor
The all copper TSX and TTSX bullets are too tough for dogs, they act like really expensive FMJs, but if you punch a bone they work ok.

I know for a fact if you hit them center of front shoulder with a 95 gr TTSX they won't get back up. Got bored pig hunting one night! LOL

-hd

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I know for a fact if you hit them center of front shoulder with a 95 gr TTSX they won't get back up. Got bored pig hunting one night! LOL

-hd
Done that a few times with the 6.8, if you want a good yote bullet get the 90gr Sierra HPs. Its like the hammer of Thor hitting them! Every so often I get out of the lead free zone and hunt the FIL's property, the Sierras are great and accurate, the 100gr Nosler Accubonds are my next favorite for dogs and they are my all time favorite on hogs. I just don't like the barnes bullets, and I really don't get the performance or accuracy out of them that everyone else rants and raves about. I would use the 6.8 for yotes in the lead free zone, except I shoot so much it just cost way too much. The 223 is 1/3 the cost to shoot varmints with. I should have jumped on one of ***'s 6BRX barrels instead of holding out for the 270AR. It would have been the best of both worlds. Hind sight is 20/20.

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor
Mainly only shoot pigs and that's why I stick with the Barnes 95 TTSX. Have had extremely good luck with them and shoot 1 MOA in my SBR which is plenty good being I never shoot over 150 yds. I got bored one night hunting and smoked 2 yotes with the TTSX. First @ 60 and the second around 90 yds. Hit both in the center of the front shoulder and they stopped in their tracks.

-hd

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sorry Gents, no pictures. By the time I got home and done feeding it decided to start raining, and that farm field is bottomless when wet. And the Wife had jalapeno, bacon, cream cheese stuffed chicken breasts with mashers and cauliflower, so I pigged out! lol

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It was, Im still a little miserable from it!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL Who needs TV?

And, that meal sounds TOO good to pass up. I'd be all over that like a 'yote on a hot bitch.