Varmint hunting pictures!

PRyan1877

Roselle, Illinois
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is a nice looking badger, cleaner than you normally see.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
To be honest I thought it was a coon in the night vision. Once it was done the land owner was happy because it had been tearing up his yard and pasture. They are crazy fast diggers.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When I was a kid growing up in Utah, we were told stories of people reaching down badger holes to pull out wounded badgers. Their pelts used to be of some value thus they were targets of opportunity. The stories go that when they reached into the hole the badger would bite onto them and not let go even in death. The hapless victim would lie there with their arm stuck in a badgers mouth which was in turn wedged in the hole. They would lay there until they also died. I doubt it was true but it ingrained a fear of badgers into us kids.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There are coyotes everywhere on my place. We have encounters from 30-300 yards everytime we go. I always offer to let hunters take them as there are too many and the farmers hate them.

Excellent pictures all. Here are a couple of mine. Badgers and bobcats don't come around too often.View attachment 282 View attachment 283
Maybe we can get few as extra!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I killed several bobcats while calling predators in Maine. My normal setup and call was about 20 minutes for coyotes. Normally if you don't see them by then,they aren't coming. I blew my chance at a cat quite a few times by not being more patient. I found that the cats would usually take 45 minutes or so to come in. They are extremely cautious. Most times a yote would come in running or at a fast walk. A cat would come in sneaking and looking. I have watched hem take 30 minutes to cover 100yds.

I also found that to get a shot at a cat you would have to be in the open or calling a road. I used to sit my bear baits during the off season. These bait sites were in the thick spruce/fir forests. After the calling session I would walk the perimeter of the site and find cat tracks in the snow. They would come in almost at a crawl and work the entire perimeter of the site 'til they got my wind. Sometimes I would be in the ladder stand for 2 hrs calling. Basically......they have an extreme level of patience. They never get in a hurry.

My biggest cat weighed in at 42lbs. I had a state biologist tell me that he had weighed several that were between 60 and 65lbs. --- pruhdlr

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is what it looks like when you hit a running coyote at ~400yds with a 30-06 and "lead free" ammo, vapor trail went about 200 yards before going into the brush, I didn't have the jevos to belly crawl in after him for a picture....

IMG_20130416_065851_920_zps81117fa1.jpg

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Surprised he went anywhere after a 30-06 hit!
That's the whole reason I hate green bullets, boiler room shots don't put them down like the lead bullets do. Have to make a CNS or structural shot on them to knock them down and keep em there. I want my Sierra Gamekings back!!!!