Tom Down

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Been here all night waiting on hogs when this tom came prowling along the south end of the pasture at about 150 yards.

I lined up the shot and heard the impact, but the tom did not go down. He didn't go anywhere. He toppled with the followup shot.

Details, pic, and hopefully vid to follow.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I assume that's a Tom cat and not a night turkey hunt you are talking about. Waiting for pics.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
20141230_023449reduced.jpg

Brief video to follow...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian that is a pretty cat, goo pelt. where did the shots hit?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, I was trying to hide them, LOL. Both entered on the right side about equally far behind the shoulder, and then exited right next to one another on the left. The first shot spined the cat, causing a kink in the back and probably going through the top half of the spine or spinous processes (top "fin" structures) on the thoracic vertebrate. You can't see the entry, but it is high on the back. The mdvr box covers the 2nd shot that had a lower entry.

The slow motion shows my sight picture rotation pretty well. Just a little wobble and the dot drifts around from the shoulder to further back on the back. It worked out okay, but was not the placement I wanted. The second shot was a hurried shot to anchor the cat because the first shot didn't drop it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Did you at least pelt it out? they taste great too

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Eric! And Frank, Mrs. TBR has coat plans for the pelt. She took a shine to it pretty quick. Sooner or later, I am going to have to eat one. My wife will probably have to be out of town before that happens...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well that is a beautiful pelt, rich in color, it should come out nice.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice cat Brian! I just noticed your creative use of the holster you bought from me. Did you split it down the seam and spread it over both sides of the stock to provide a little better feel on your cheek?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You are the official King Of Kats this year.
Too bad we aren't up north a bit. This picture is my brother in Montana last weekIMG_0616.JPG , this cat is worth $800.00-$1000.00 this year

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For you pelt hunters, where is the preferred bullet impact point on the animal?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is a great question for histopicker. The two guys (hunters, not trappers) I know that occasionally sell pelts don't worry so much about placement of the shot on the pelt as much as having a bullet that does not overpenetrate and damage the pelt a second (and often, much worse) time. A small entry is an easy repair. Gaping exit wounds are not so easy.

My ammo fails in regard to exit wounds. Unless I am shooting longwise through the body, the Hornady SST tends to make for nasty exit wounds...which is great for hogs, but not so good for pelts.