Time for the Therocell!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well after doing is a few times I am sorta over it...lol not to hard but a bit of hit and miss. I still have not found a real alternative for the pads

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well i'm sold on Thermocell- We went hunting saturday night and were just going to sit in the truck and wait for the group to come out. As my son and i sat there with the windows up i turned on the Thermocell and let it burn for 10 minutes, you could see all the mosquitoes on the outside of the windows. i went to roll them down and my son said " are you going to let all them in?" . I did and within a couple minutes the buzzing stopped and we never got bit. Best thing i've found by far!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah don't breathe in the fumes...not good for you

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have tried to refill mine a few times and gave up. I just buy the refill pack and use it till it runs out. Saving a few bucks isn't worth all that hassle.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you have to take the brass fitting out and then pierce the film below it and set the brass back in w/o leaking or silicone it in. The butane spout in the can needs to have a V notch in it to refill

1)Take the butane cartridge out of the thermacell.

2) With a pair of pliers, gently rock the metal nipple ( careful not to damage the o-ring on the nipple ) from the cartridge.

3) CAREFULLY use a small wire ( I've used things like a paper clip, small straightened fish hook and wire leader material ) and push it into the mouth of the butane cartridge. There is a very small, white gasket-like membrane you need to pull out. This is the trickiest part of the refill process and you'll screw-up a few times before you get the feel of it.

4) Butane refill cylinder. Buy it any hardware or camping store. Cut the tip at an angle / and turn the Thermacell empty cartridge upside down. Insert the refill cylinder into the cartridge and fill to about 2/3 allowing for expansion.

5) Remove the refill cylinder from the now 2/3 full Thermacell cartridge. Reinsert the metal nipple into the cartridge and tap it back in with a hammer or pop-it with a piece of wood.

As for the pads..... Thermacell uses Allethrin, which is a synthetic copy of Pyrethrin. Pyrethrin is a naturally occuring insecticide made from chrysanthemums. There are many different products that are Pyrethrin based. I've used a fly spray for horses and a non-toxic spray for plants that have pyrethrin in them. My best results have been from spraying the pad with a few squirts, letting dry (crystallizes ) and reapplying one more time. Keep the pads in a ziplock bag and use within the month.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
if you buy the 10% Pyrethrin concentrate you can also duplicate Sawyers for your gear and clothing.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OK I have the 10% permethrin concentrate, what is the ratio for a 5% and 10% spray? Sawyers is 5%...guy on the make your own pads video says 5 to 1 mix for the pads. I want to make the pads and a Sawyers spray and a 10% spray.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If he's using 5%... then wouldn't your ratio be 2.5 to 1 to get 10%, or the same 5 to 1 ratio to get 10% using the 10% base liquid?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
in the video he says 5 or 6 to 1 for the thermacell pads works. My confusion is starting w a 10% concentrate to make a 5% and 10% mixture for use. Direction on the bottle say 1.3oz to a gallon of water (1 in100) for 1% or 6.7oz per gallon(1 in 19) for a 5%, that seems to be alot of concentrate

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Best bet is to use your product ratio guide lines and mix your quantities used accordingly.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My bottle is only 8oz and wanted it to go as far as possible....

OK my mistake Sawyers is 0.5%, that makes much more sense so 1/2 of 1%.. Doing that the mix rate for Sawyers is about .70 of an oZ to a gallon...sorry for all the confusion

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is how I buy Permethrin, may be the same as you guys. I mix 1 oz. per gallon. It calls for 8oz. per 6.25 gals for animal enclosures etc... so I run it just a little less strong for household use. I was paying almost 10.00 for Sawyers and this bottle of concentrate was only 10.00.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I forgot the picturepermethrin 001.JPG

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is what I am using Martin's 8oz bttle. now about $17 but still make gallons instead of pints for the same price. Thanks I will go between .75 to 1oz per gallon, stronger than sawyers but still safe to use on clothing and gear.

Drift

LSB Member
With respect. You guys be careful. You are dealing with a neuro toxin. Permethrin has been known to kill humans in two and a half hours from exposure to death. FrankT showed us how easy it is to misplace a decimal point and end up with concentration 10x-20x higher than you were planning.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use it on outer clothing and nets and make sure I don't get it on my body..Thanks for the warning

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OK, so what is the safe and proper dilution for the thermacell ??

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OK, so what is the safe and proper dilution for the thermacell ??

in the video he says 5 or 6 to 1 for the thermacell pads works