Time for the Therocell!

JPK

LSB Active Member
We have one county in MD where night fox hunting is legal this time of year, and one of my hunting clubs is in it. So I gave it a go this evening.

It has been warming up,over the last weeks or so, and especially today. After the cold winter we've had it never crossed my mind to break out the Thermocells. I was hunting adjacent to the Blackwater River, which is centered in MD's huge marshes, and ground zero for mosquitos.

I'm still scratching, and as much as I was moving, swatting involuntarily, it isn't a surprise I saw nothing. Thermocells and spare fuel cell and pads go in the truck tomorrow!

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have 2 Thermocells and 2 bug suits, Sawyers is great too...that time of year!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have mine in my backpack I take hunting with me at all times. The spare fuel and pads are always in a bag in another pocket ready to go. The problem down here in Florida is the Mosquitos here are so big you almost have to carry a shotgun to shoot them out of the sky. A few times hunting southern Florida the thermocell didn't do anything

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I feel your pain. All this rain with no cold front in TX has the skeeters really getting started

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was wearing my skeeter hood the other day on that video. Never tried that Thermacel, do they work?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dan, if you are sitting still or in a blind and no high wind they work very well.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They don't scare animals?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
never noticed them affecting game, the also come in an earth scent as well as the original I spray down w Sawyers and that will keep them away too.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was considering spraying a little skeeter spray on some fence posts in my area so they get used to the smell but most of the hogs I see, are only on camera 1,2,3 or 4 times and then I don't see them again. Usually ever again so it wouldn't really make too much sense there.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Big fan of the Thermacell. Works great for me if, like Frank said, there is little to no wind and you are hunting stationary.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine has even worked well in a tree stand. Not as well as in a blind but still worked

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter

JPK

LSB Active Member
They don't scare animals?

I have had deer within a few feet of a tree stand or ground blind and though a Thermocell hisses (audible if you hold it close to your ear) I have never had them spook game

If they're down wind I would think your own scent would be enough to spook game anyway, though I have had game come directly upwind to me too on some days.

On bad bug days two Thermocells will clear out a blind.

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In my blind I spray deet spray on the walls and window sills and if I need it use a thermacell. The sawyers spray works good too as it will kill them too. At the cleaning station I use one of those outdoor foggers like yardguard.

TomH FW

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Question for y'all - the mosquito part sounds good, but do y'all use the light? Seems like that would be a bad idea up on my tripod stand. Can the light part be disabled and just use the anti-mosquito part?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't use the light, the standard Thermocell has no light.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This sounds awesome I picked up one to try!

TomH FW

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Upon further searching, I do see that you can get them without the light. I will try it out!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Also there are youtubes on refilling the butane and making your own pads.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Also there are youtubes on refilling the butane and making your own pads.
I need to learn to refill mine for sure