Thoughts On Jager Pros

BamaWoods

About to buy the whole Jager Pro trap setup.. wondering if anyone has any good or bad things to say about their traps?

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those look way cool. There are a bunch of videos I have seen on the utube using traps like that. One thing you have to have service for them to work. I think one person in here used a garage door switch or something like that. I am sure someone will chime in, there are a couple electronic dodad brains on this site!! Looking forward seeing videos of much pork being trapped!! TRAP TRAP!!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had a buddy that bought one of their gates a few years back. It worked great and had nothing but great things to say about them.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My buddy uses and sells the Bull Creek "Game Changer". They are nice , I have set them up, pretty easy 1 man setup and I believe they are a bunch cheaper than the others, They have a very good camera system also, of course he says better everything over a Jaeger Pro but he does sell them so he should say that. You can go on to Youtube and look up Muddy Ruckus, check out his videos. I can get you in touch with him if you like.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
too expensive, lots of cheaper alternatives

TexasTrapper

LSB Member
They all have pros and cons. There is cheaper alternatives and there is more expensive ones. I've used several different manufacturers and decided on a different brand and currently run 2 remote traps.

But most importantly, they only work as good as the cell signal you have where you hog trap. If you have spotty or low cell coverage the trap will not work the way it's designed.

They also suck up batteries. In heavy forest the solar panel may have a hard time keeping up. Most demos you see are in open fields for a reason.

While they are fun and have a cool factor I prefer a good corral style trap with a cellular game cam to let me know when there is activity.

ScottJ

LSB Member
I've been hunting sw Arkansas from time to time for the last 5 years or so. One of the guys who has quite a bit of good hunting land where I've been hunting has recently got a remote camera/triggering trap set up... and doesn't want me hunting the area since he's trying to trap entire sounders of hogs. I can't blame him. He's been doing very well. When I was down there (I live in Iowa) last week, I didn't hunt his land because I now don't have permission to do so, but do drive by it on the way to a few properties where I do have permission. I scanned his fields with my thermal and only saw two hogs once. Very different from what I've seen before (much fewer hogs). Word around town was he'd got 70+ hogs in the trap in one night a few days before I got down there. So I only ended up with one lone boar in my two nights of half-hearted hunting attempted... the one field I've done well in before wasn't planted yet and was bare, and the other is pasture and the grass was almost waist high. I just happened to see the ears of the one boar I got as I was very close to him and could look somewhat down at him with the thermal. Too tall of grass to hunt it effectively.
Sooo, my question is whether hogs wise up to these live video, remote operated traps. Do they become less effective after some time and the hog populations in the areas come back up despite these fancy traps, or not?

ScottJ

LSB Member
Oh, I also saw a group of at least 20 hogs in some maybe 8" high corn but didn't know who owned the land. If I was that farmer, I would want people to shoot hogs there if they see them. But of course I didn't shoot because I don't want to upset anyone. That was the first night. The next day I asked around and found someone who knew the person who owned it and was told they'd have no prob at all with shooting hogs in their field. The hogs were not back out there the 2nd night, although I only stayed out until about 11:30 as I had to drive back home the next morning. So there's still sounders in the area, but that's about 3 miles from where I know the remote video trapping is going on.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If every hog that has seen that trap is now dead then that trap will continue to be successful if there is anything left to trap. Usually after a catch that size the trap would get moved somewhere else, to another property if one is available.