Thermal suppressed 12 gauge takes 320lb boar

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went out this weekend and took a bunch of hogs but that story will come later this is about the first ever 12 gauge thermal kills!

First night out we were running into sounders full of 50-100 pound hogs with the rifles, so the plan was to load one slug and seven 00 buck shot. Of course the slug would be for the biggest sow and the buck shot was meant for the rest.

As luck would have it the very first hog we stumbled upon was a 320lb boar drinking in a stock pond. I was shooting down on him from the dam at about 40 yards so it did not even cross my mind he would run from a 12 gauge slug. The slug hit him center shoulder traveled all the way through and exited out his lower neck on the opposite side.

A lesser hog would have dropped right there in the water but not this guy he takes of running. So I start dumping the 00 buck into him with very little effect, two solid head and neck shots as he is running then a dud. Fortunately while I was racking the round out he was spinning in a circle. Just as I get back on target he runs straight back down the path where he came from taking three more 00 buck loads to knock him down.

Turns out the first shot was fatal but the buck shot did virtually nothing to this guy, he had some of the thickest shields I have seen. His sides felt like solid concrete the only buck shot to penetrate in enough to draw blood was a hit far back on his ribs. This was copper plated high velocity 00 buck.

Later in the night we took another large boar 290lbs he took a slug and a 120gr SST behind his shoulder at about 100 yards. He made it about 30 yards then collapsed dead.

I have seen the videos of guys knocking down hogs from helicopters all day long with buck shot, but this is the third big boar to take multiple hits not even slowing them down. So if you are hunting hogs with a shotgun I recommend at least a few slugs in case you run into one of these guys.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The way he took off, he looked like the night train at full steam. You'd expect the hits from the 00 buck to knock him around a little, alter his intended course. Those hits almost looked like misses, from his seemingly unphased run. Slugs do rock-n-roll. Nice chootin', good video too, thanks for grabbing the scatter gun.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well sir, you made me a believer. I too would have expected better results with 00 buck.
It seems the boars shield IS armor plate in this case.
Good shooting, and enjoyed the video.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great intro.....good video work and fun video. Also very good information to know!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The way he took off, he looked like the night train at full steam. You'd expect the hits from the 00 buck to knock him around a little, alter his intended course. Those hits almost looked like misses, from his seemingly unphased run. Slugs do rock-n-roll. Nice chootin', good video too, thanks for grabbing the scatter gun.
I was thinking the same thing while shooting but if you look close he flinched at each hit. Thought about putting a stick in each buck shot hole just so you could see them guess I should have.

Jeremy M.

Administrator
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So besides running into a bruiser right out of the gate how do you think it performed? Would you use mostly slugs or just go after smaller targets?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So besides running into a bruiser right out of the gate how do you think it performed? Would you use mostly slugs or just go after smaller targets?

Well I just carried my rifle and the shotgun for the rest of the weekend. Using the rifle on the bigger boars and then buckshot on the small to average pigs. If I was limited to just a shotgun think I would load slugs just be be sure.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
That's nuts. Those big hogs are tough for sure. Guess if you want to take one down with buckshot need to be 10 yards and in the head.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good going Todd, sure was a tough guy, congrats on the first shotgun/thermal kill

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hog ... shotgun with suppressor and thermal is rad.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
GREAT VIDEO!! Showing the lack of effectiveness with 00 is impressive. Do you think the videos from the choppers using buck is due to the angle at which they are shooting? Not having to penetrate the shield. Also most of those hogs are much smaller though I have seen a couple bruisers taken. They also have had to take multiple shots to drop them. Anyway great shoot once again...

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I meant to ask, How is the pro holding up to the recoil of the 12ga? I want a NV/Thermal that is reasonably sized but will hold up to the 458SOCOM. I know some are rated for the 50BMG but I am a bit cautious about dropping 7grand and possibly blow it up.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very good video. I expected a slug from 40 yards to fold up most pigs like a worn out lawn chair. That boar was double tough.

I would like to see the effects of 00 buck on an average 150# and under hog. I bet piglets go pop if you're close enough.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
GREAT VIDEO!! Showing the lack of effectiveness with 00 is impressive. Do you think the videos from the choppers using buck is due to the angle at which they are shooting? Not having to penetrate the shield. Also most of those hogs are much smaller though I have seen a couple bruisers taken. They also have had to take multiple shots to drop them. Anyway great shoot once again...

Yes from the chopper they are firing straight down into the spine and cns.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I meant to ask, How is the pro holding up to the recoil of the 12ga? I want a NV/Thermal that is reasonably sized but will hold up to the 458SOCOM. I know some are rated for the 50BMG but I am a bit cautious about dropping 7grand and possibly blow it up.
I fired it about 350 times now no issues that's a small sample but all I have for now. The pro line are rated for 50 cal. Will be trying on the 45/70 next basically a 458.