The Making of a Heavenly Knife.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lets do another one.

I received a request from a gentleman wanting me to make a couple of knives using his meteorites. I took on the challenge. I have done this in the past so it really is not new but still challenging as I never know what to expect. I received the Meteorites and have begun the process.

0106161219_zpscj7sk9tn.jpg

Next I want to smash them and break them up as much as possible. Into my press.

0106161220_zpsyo3uh7ep.jpg

The smashed and broken pieces. Weight of the original material.

0114161126_zpslp4zwpqb.jpg

Since there was so little of the original material I needed to add some from my personal stash. This is actually granulated meteorite.

0114161139_zpsfyqxwqhr.jpg

And the pieces I will add of my Campo.

0114161146_zpslfcum6wx.jpg

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here is the combined meteorite and granulated material. 1 1/2lbs of Meteorite.

0115161430_zpswlxeiwgv.jpg

I will add the Meteorite material to some powdered 1095 steel. It will all go into this 4x4x6" steel box.

0118160938_zpsvrnzmhbi.jpg

Powder and Medeorite mixed

0118160941_zpscx4ttqcl.jpg

And into the can.

0118160948_zps3thpsdao.jpg

Now I need to seal the box and get it hot. I did not take a picture of this part. Just welded a cap on the end and pressed the powder down as much as I could cold.

Now I need to forge it out.

0118161101_zps9hbclrns.jpg

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Keep drawing it out until I get to where I need it.

0118161208_zpsijw0b6kb.jpg

I had to do some other work for a couple weeks and started on this again yesterday but broke my press. I fixed it today and started up again. Here is the billet after I finished up for the day. I cut it in half and am working on the lower portion.

0204161712_zps7prfilyn.jpg

I am hoping this will have streaks of nickel meteorite with nickel meteorite flecks on a dark blade. Kind of like the night sky. This is all I have got done for now. I will keep this up to date as I make progress.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very cool project, and a very unique Damascus blade.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very cool. Only thing I found was some Leaverite. Leaverite where you found it my dad says.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm very impressed. Where does one get meteorites or powdered meteorite? Not that I would ever attempt something like that.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got mine from the gentleman who approached me regarding the first project I did. I did not need all the meteorite he gave me but he did not want it back. It is Campo which does not have the cool patterning that the Gibeon does. Apparently his source had literally tons and tons of it from South America. He also had the granulated material. This is probably from saw cuts slabbing other meteorites. The granulated stuff is worth 10x the whole. DOn't know why but it is. The previous knives I made all went to China. Having the meteorite in them made for fast sales.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just came on from the forge. Will be posting more shortly.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok, Here is another day. Lets get things warmed up....

0206161240_zps5jelkthd.jpg

That is the bar from the last post. I will be drawing it out making it into a more usable size for knife blades.

Now here is some action forging the bar and drawing it out. I would recommend turning your sound down a little. It is rather loud. Also please excuse the shaky video, hard to forge and video by myself.

[youtube]

After a few heats I have now drawn the bar into .25x1.25x31"

0206161413_zpssvofcf8r.jpg

Next I will forge the tang of the blade. It will look like this.

0206161423_zpstxqye7fg.jpg

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The job I am working on requires 2 knife blades. I normally make twice the number for a couple of reasons. First if anything happens to some of them I do not have to start over again. Second It is good to have a couple on hand for future orders or show stock. Does not take that much longer to just forge a few out. In this case I decided to just go ahead and forge the entire bar into blades. First all the tangs.

0206161507_zpsxyfvvw4k.jpg

Next I forge the profiles. These are rough profiles which will be cleaned up on the grinder. I can forge bevels in but have found it much more efficient to just grind them from here.

0206161622_zpsksjnfaye.jpg

I did do a hardening test just to make sure these would actually harden up. It did, hard as glass as we like to say. Broke a small portion of a tang off and had really nice small grain structure. I did not take a photo of this as it is very hard to capture.

Now let's take a look at what the pattern may look like. First I grind all the scale off and clean it up to 400 grit.

0206161640_zps6ftgt0pn.jpg

Then a quick dip into Ferric Chloride to bring out the pattern.

0206161641_zpswbiamxbz.jpg

And here it is..

0206161642b_zpsfjgkxgyv.jpg

Came out like I had imagined. All the silver streaking is the meteorite. I could have made it look more like traditional Damascus but then it would be hard to tell what the meteorite was. This way I can assuredly point out the parts that are meteorite. The large streaks are the chunks I broke up and the smaller ones are from the granules. In all from light off to finish it took a little over 4 hours to do this portion. A bit less than an hour per blade today. Not too bad. Now on to the grinding on Monday. Will post more after the grinding.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pretty cool how it has that streaking through the sky look to it.

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way cool! I can't wait to see the finished product!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's a slick looking pattern.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pretty cool how it has that streaking through the sky look to it.

The streaking reminds me of a time laps photo of the night sky. Or one heck of a meteor shower.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sorry I did not get out to the shop yesterday. Helping a friend rebuild his house after a fire.

So lets get things going again. Here are the blades I have on the bench right now. All in different stages of completion.

0209161545a_zpsidcomvm0.jpg

The meteor blades are in the upper right corner.

I need to get them rough ground along with the blades just below.

I use my 2x72 belt grinder. THis is a 36 grit belt and it can really remove the material.

0209161548_zpsfh5yougg.jpg

An hour or so and 2 belts later they are rough ground.

0209161641_zpsgopti2ni.jpg

I need to set the shoulders. For this I use a precision ground fixture of hardened D2 die steel. It allows me to file the shoulders flat and square.

0209161651_zpsjfntvz2f.jpg

0209161657_zps915hzbrc.jpg

Last edited:

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For the Filing I use a round edge bastard file. The rounded edge keeps the inside corners from being to sharp. This can cause stress risers and possible cracking either during the quench in the heat treating or during use.

0209161657a_zpsiodsqmsv.jpg

And both sides filed.

0209161704_zpsyj3qqqaz.jpg

The profiled blade with nice square shoulders.

0209161710_zpsbhstrpkj.jpg

That is all for today. spent 10 hours in the shop doing some forging and this grinding. I did get all the meteorite blades to this stage. More later.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good tip on the round edged file. Nice pile of blades there.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well today was not a productive as I would have liked but I did get a bit done. A lot of cleaning up the profiles, setting shoulders on the other 6 damascus blades. Removing scale and making everything parallel. Now onto grinding. First I need to establish the center of the blade. This is done with a height gauge.

0210161448_zpszrxvbl00.jpg

This scribes the center-line to grind to.

0210161448a_zpsx2de0qas.jpg

Next I set the edge by grinding a heavy bevel. This gives me a better visual of how far I need to grind.

0210161639a_zpsi6im5x0q.jpg

Now to rough grind the bevels.

0210161639b_zpsxjmvcbmb.jpg

And the end result of the day to this point.

0210161701_zpsgtjduywv.jpg

I still need to finish grind these. This will refine the bevels and make sure they are even on the blade. I will take pics when I do that.

I hope this is not getting to boring. There is a lot of tedium making knives. This is one reason I try to have more than one project going. It allows me to do different processes when I get tired of one. That's it for today.