Soups: Vegetable Beast

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
At the first of the week, I made up a BIG pot of Vegetable Beast Soup. What I've found helpful is, do NOT pour off the fat after browning your ground meat. Make your soup and when it cools in the fridge/freezer (inside your storage containers), the fat layer will rise to the top/harden/create an air-tight seal over your food (beneath the container's lid). When you want to reheat/serve some of your soup, just break off the layer of fat and dispose of it before re-heating your meal. If you want some/all of it left in before re-heating, you have that option as well.

What I did, was brown a 3lb. chunk of burger in olive oil/herbs/spices I selected. Then I tossed it into my pressure cooker along with my chunked up veggies (fresh), a carton of beef stock, some water, and a couple of bay leaves.

Veggies used... carrots, taters, onion, garlic, celery, parsnip, rutabaga, turnip, mushrooms, sweet peppers.

Herbs/Seasonings... Parsley, basil, cilantro, salt/pepper, Tabaso's Chipoltle/Jalepeno sauces, Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, Worchestershire sauce.

Pearl Barley and lentils were also added in before pressure cooking for 25 mins.

The pile of veggies/meat was so big, I had to make it up in two batches (7-8qts ea.).

Great/quick meals all through the week, along with buttered bread on the side, plenty of freeze for later use too. That hardened fat layer will also help to seal out the air (chance of freezer burn).

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That sounds awesome. That reminds me I haven't eaten dinner yet and I'm hungry.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That sounds awesome. That reminds me I haven't eaten dinner yet and I'm hungry.
That and the fact that we aren't allowed to own a pressure cooker anymore.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That and the fact that we aren't allowed to own a pressure cooker anymore.

Huh?

That sounds pretty tasty!

My wife picked up this electric pressure cooker a few months back. Pretty idiot proof even for me.
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-IP-LUX50-Programmable-Stainless/dp/B006E7I7MG

Appearance wise, just about identical to mine. Mine's the one they show on those infomercials. Nice unit. Love being able to brown meat in it (Saute Feature) beforehand too. One pot cooking it nice.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
he fact that we aren't allowed to own a pressure cooker anymore.
Huh?
I thought they outlawed pressure cookers.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
he fact that we aren't allowed to own a pressure cooker anymore.
Huh?
I thought they outlawed pressure cookers.
No... pressure cookers are still available. I have one for a microwave (single serve size) too. I think they mandated some changes to make them safer to use, so they don't build up too much pressure. But, I think that was implemented quite a few years ago.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No... pressure cookers are still available. I have one for a microwave (single serve size) too. I think they mandated some changes to make them safer to use, so they don't build up too much pressure. But, I think that was implemented quite a few years ago.

hook.jpg

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ow !!! What'd I say to deserve THAT ?!???

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think Dan was (at least I hope) joking about the Pressure cookers. Used in the Boston Marathon bombing but no one was calling for them to be restricted. If not maybe the MEME should be under his post.;)

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL... otay, making "more gooder" sense now.

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My little brother "caught" me like that but right between the shoulder blades when we were kids....... Damn overhead casting on a small sandbar......

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My little brother "caught" me like that but right between the shoulder blades when we were kids....... Damn overhead casting on a small sandbar......
Ack !!!! I was "Combat Fishing" in Alaska once... some lady had been pulling on a hooked fish, straight up over the centerline of her head. Lost the fish and buried a hook in her forehead. Someone was trying to clip the hook in two and work it out of her scalp. NOT Zesty !!!

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup, combat fishing on Adak resulted in the same. Hook in a guys scalp. He went to medical though.