Q Trash Panda or Rugged Surge

ptysonjr

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Getting ready to purchase my 1st suppressor. I think I have narrowed down to these 2 but open to others that fit the criteria.
1. High db reduction
2. High quality
3. Work for .223 to 300 WM
4. Light as possible to reach excellent sound reduction
5. Quick Disconnect
6. Proven manufacturer

Do any of you have a preference either way on these two or do you suggest another that will match these with all things considered of what these 2 offer?

LSB Active Member
I can only add what I felt was the best direction for me after talking with Todd(TLM) and Silencer Shop. I went with the Q Thunder Chicken. That's Todd's favorite and he can shoot whatever he wants. I was already a fan of Kevin's at Q. I leaned on the Trash Panda at first b/c as of 6 weeks ago I was toting around a 308AR, but having since gone to a lighter rifle I went with the TC.....bit heavier and longer, but will still be a sub 10 pound rifle fully dressed and that's good nuff for me. The weight thing is big for sure, but in the end I bought a can to save my ears and went with what gave the most reduction. The change in caliber was actually at bit influenced by the decision to go with a silencer. Tried toting a 308AR around with a can and dang that was just a pig and since almost all my shooting is offhand or kneeling or sitting the weight gets to be a big decision maker for me. SS said the sound b/t Trash Panda and Thunder Chicken was ~ 7dB if memory serves? Probably impossible for me to tell in person, but figured since the worst case scenario was a sub 10 lb rifle would go all the way with TC.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You want the Q Thunder Chicken not the Trash Panda for those requirements. The Trash Panda is the short version of the Thunder Chicken. The Rugged Surge is a quiet can but it's long and heavy.

I would skip the omega they are louder, and much weaker than the two you listed.

And yes I've tested them all there is a difference.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Does the mount on either of those lock up more tightly than the other?

I’m Asking about the Q or the rugged?

Thanks.

ptysonjr

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You want the Q Thunder Chicken not the Trash Panda for those requirements. The Trash Panda is the short version of the Thunder Chicken. The Rugged Surge is a quiet can but it's long and heavy.

I would skip the omega they are louder, and much weaker than the two you listed.

And yes I've tested them all there is a difference.

Todd,

Thanks for advise. I went back to check specs and it was my oversight. The Thunder Chicken does fit the bill better than the Trash Panda. I will be placing my order this week. Most of my my research is based on your reviews. I always listen or read others reviews to get a broad opinion then come back to yours to make my mind up. Really appreciate your forum and honest reviews! Would love to join you in some eradication sometime to learn from you guys. I'm new to this night hunting game. Been avidly hunting N. Texas since a boy in 70's. This is my last piece of equipment needed to have 2 rifles set up for yotes and swine in the dark.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Does the mount on either of those lock up more tightly than the other?

I’m Asking about the Q or the rugged?

Thanks.

The Rugged you tighten the rear of the suppressor down on the muzzle devise and screw the rear of the can to tighten it. Surge762 features a patent pending quick detach Dual Taper Locking System™ that ensures wobble free firing. Constant spring pressure on the rear taper keeps the mount securely locked against the front taper regardless of metal expansion associated with repeated heating and cooling cycles. When it’s attached to the muzzle device or flash hider (included with every Surge762), your rifle and Surge762 become one.

On the Q the Cherry Bomb mount. It uses a taper mount shoulder to align barrels and silencers, uses a 1/2 inch socket on the front for easy install and removal, and features 360° circumferential ports to alleviate the need for timing and shims. Backwards compatible with standard 90 degree shouldered barrels.

I dont think either will come off the Q is simple and lighter.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I wasn’t worried about one coming off.

My only experience with any suppressor mount is either a three lug 9 mm mount, or the AAC 51 tooth mount.

I know it’s not being asked about here but In my opinion that AAC 51 tooth mount is not ideal for Precision shooting because they rarely lock up tightly.

Never had a baffle strike, but you could literally move the can on the end of three of the four AAC mounts that I have had. I swore after dealing with that system I would never buy one that was not direct thread, but lately I’ve been rethinking it and I ordered a surge micro (I think that’s the name) haven’t got it in yet to try it out and was curious.

Thanks.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

My only experience with any suppressor mount is either a three lug 9 mm mount, or the AAC 51 tooth mount.

I know it’s not being asked about here but In my opinion that AAC 51 tooth mount is not ideal for Precision shooting because they rarely lock up tightly.

Never had a baffle strike, but you could literally move the can on the end of three of the four AAC mounts that I have had. I swore after dealing with that system I would never buy one that was not direct thread, but lately I’ve been rethinking it and I ordered a surge micro (I think that’s the name) haven’t got it in yet to try it out and was curious.

Thanks.
Nothing to break on the Q needs no timing or shims so it's the best for what you want out of the two then.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Thanks.
Ideal for precision shooting would be a direct thread.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Didn’t say it would come off. Saying that for precision shooting a direct thread is a better choice. That being said they no matter the connection type if you don’t take it off and on things will be fine. Long range is about repeatability and a direct thread has less parts and pieces therefor less things to cause an issue with repeatability.

LSB Active Member
Mine just arrived at FFL.....hoping for a 2018 delivery that would be fine by me.