PVS 14

Billygadget7

LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thinkin about an Armasight PVS14 to complement my Zeus pro. Are there any certain variations to stay away from?

Will be using it to scan and spot. 200 yds would be the realistic range. But I have no. Experience with nv, not even sure it has that capability.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Some of our vendors might be able to get you better price or equivalent unit for even BETTER price.

PVS-14 with gen3p or L-3 (FLAG) tubes can see a long way ... much farther than 200yds in most conditions.

I have found the USGI 3x magnifier to be a useful accessory.

JPK

LSB Active Member
A good Gen 3 PVS will amaze you and change the way you think about sunset and sunrise. Especially if you helmet mount it. 200yds does not begin to stretch the capability of a reasonably high spec PVS 14. Current MILSPEC requires a signal to noise ratio of 25, and that is a good place to start. Add a $6-$12 3w helmet mountable, zoom able IR light and even the darkest nights will be a new world. (You can find the cheap 3w IR light by googling "eBay IR flashlight", and a cheap low 1" Weaver scope ring will mount it to a picatiny helmet rail.)

Unlike Wigmatus, I do not use my US GI 3x magnifiers much, but you can pick up a second hand magnifier in good condition for a little over $100 to give it a try, and re-sell it for the same price if you find you don't use it.

I agree with Wigmatus regarding finding a better unit at the same or better price through a LSB sponsoring vendor, and the unit may come with a spec sheet, which will confirm what quality you are buying and help maintain the NVD's value ( since you can provide proof of the specs to a future purchaser, should you ever want to trade up or just sell.)

On the other hand, if you hunt familiar ground all or most all of the time a thermal spotter might be of greater utility. And you can pick up a decent spotter, like the Pulsar HD19A, for $2k, which is less than a good PVS 14, let alone a helmet and mount.

Here are a couple of photos of my helmet set ups, showing the cheap but capable 3w IR light. My personal helmet is set up for dual PVS 14's, but my son's is set up for a single. We also have a Cry Nightcap, which is an easily storable and very comfortable "soft helmet." The Nightcap is cheaper than a good helmet, more expensive than a decent Chinese Op Core helmet knock off, and fine for a single PVS 14, with enough counter weight on the back.

(The photo below shows my helmet with one PVS 14 and one IR Patrol thermal mounted to an Integrated Components PVS 14 dual,mount bridge, a second PVS would mount in place of the Patrol. You can pick out the Patrol because it is longer.)

JPK

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
sHj2TwAh.jpg

My two helmets ... on the right sides of the helmets (left side as we face) are the 3 lumen red, blue, green white lights. These can be used on red, for most tasks requiring visible light and are not visible much beyond 10 yards. I don't use these much, but they are handy to have when needed.
The left sides of the helmets have ir-illuminators, these are used for looking at items in shadows, or reducing bloom on ir-lasers up close. I don't use these much either, but they are also handy to have when needed.
Counter-weights include mostly spare batteries and spare .45ACP magazines.

This is Team Wendy helmet with dual 14s ...

gltqy0Zh.jpg

The USGI magnifier is slipped on to the left side (if wearing the helmet) PVS-14. The primary use case for the magnifier is to extend the distance I can see the ir-laser when using the LRF at night. On good nights I can see the laser from the LRF out to 500yds, but on poor nights maybe not even 300yds. Use of the 3x magnifier extends this distance. Secondary use case, is to do more detailed scan of an area or as an aid to identification of a spotted subject.

And here is helmet with Armasight q-14 ... and thermal monocular.

spWGVl9h.jpg

I was hoping to mount the q-14 side by side with a pvs-14, but have been unable to do so, hence I will probably sell the q-14 and get either the ATN, PAS29 with the idea of mounting thermal and i2 on the same helmet for hands free detection while moving.

But PVS-14s form the core of the ability to move quickly at night. On foot, I can move at day light speeds and on buggy or 4-wheeler maybe about 80% of daylight speeds.

Billygadget7

LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow
sHj2TwAh.jpg

My two helmets ... on the right sides of the helmets (left side as we face) are the 3 lumen red, blue, green white lights. These can be used on red, for most tasks requiring visible light and are not visible much beyond 10 yards. I don't use these much, but they are handy to have when needed.
The left sides of the helmets have ir-illuminators, these are used for looking at items in shadows, or reducing bloom on ir-lasers up close. I don't use these much either, but they are also handy to have when needed.
Counter-weights include mostly spare batteries and spare .45ACP magazines.

This is Team Wendy helmet with dual 14s ...

gltqy0Zh.jpg

The USGI magnifier is slipped on to the left side (if wearing the helmet) PVS-14. The primary use case for the magnifier is to extend the distance I can see the ir-laser when using the LRF at night. On good nights I can see the laser from the LRF out to 500yds, but on poor nights maybe not even 300yds. Use of the 3x magnifier extends this distance. Secondary use case, is to do more detailed scan of an area or as an aid to identification of a spotted subject.

And here is helmet with Armasight q-14 ... and thermal monocular.

spWGVl9h.jpg

I was hoping to mount the q-14 side by side with a pvs-14, but have been unable to do so, hence I will probably sell the q-14 and get either the ATN, PAS29 with the idea of mounting thermal and i2 on the same helmet for hands free detection while moving.

But PVS-14s form the core of the ability to move quickly at night. On foot, I can move at day light speeds and on buggy or 4-wheeler maybe about 80% of daylight speeds.

Wow, you have lots of nice tools/toys in your box

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
We r just trying to give u ideas about helmet mounted optics!

Or, you can just rig up a lanyard for a 14 and skip the helmet part completely!!

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I recommend you talk to at least three vendors on the phone ... before you decide ... ******** (Third Coast) ... Aaron (Night Combat) ... Pete (I2 Tech) ... or pick your three ... but talk to at least three ... ON THE PHONE ... before you decide ...
And remember ... "you can't negotiate - if you can't walk away" :)

Last edited:

Ncorry

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I really appreciate the advice. Got lots of decisions to make

If you decide to go helmet mounted, bite the bullet and get a TW out of the gate. I agree completely with what JPK says above, "On the other hand, if you hunt familiar ground all or most all of the time a thermal spotter might be of greater utility. And you can pick up a decent spotter, like the Pulsar HD19A, for $2k, which is less than a good PVS 14, let alone a helmet and mount." I started with one PVS14 and a helmet, and IR lasers, lenses, etc, and then got lonely and picked up a second one with helmet. Once I got a thermal scope, they rarely get taken out, but I'm almost exclusively hunting known ground.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All good advice ... Me personally, I like to stick with thermal. I have a PVS-14 but it's hasn't been used much after I got into thermals. I can't wait for the next generation of thermal ... it will be thermal fused with night vision.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
With the q-14 I'm trying to migrate to the "using thermal while moving" mode of operation versus the "move, stop, look" mode of operation I used with the apollo ... ability to detect while moving, either walking or driving, was key reason for me to get q-14, i.e. helmet mountable thermal.

... and while I'm sure part of it is just adjusting to the differences of the visual queues the thermal gives me (q-14 mounted solo on helmet) ... for instance I still can't drive the 4-wheeler with the same level of confidence (a.k.a. at the same speed) with the q-14 as I do with the pvs-14 ... so I take pvs-14 in a pouch so I can hold that up with left hand if needed in order to drive.

Also I know there will be scenarios, like we had 2 nights ago, after a rain, where mostly I saw solid grey with the q-14, whereas with the pvs-14 I could navigate normally.

==
So for me ... seeing (observing) critters (whether moving or stationary) ... is what thermals are best at ... whereas navigating (moving) while balancing safety and speed are what the pvs-14s are best at ...

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I realized after a bit that you need all three. Thermal scope, thermal scanner, and a pvs-14. If you're hurting an unfamiliar place a pvs-14 helps a lot. Hunting my home places or blinds, it stays in the safe.