Pulsar XP50 Question and Review

darrohn801

LSB Member
I just bought an XP50 and have a couple of questions:

1 - Does anyone know what size eye piece or if they sale aftermarket eye pieces for the XP50? I"m not a huge fan of the one that comes standard and ideally I would love one that cloese entirely like the one that comes on the IR Reap but haven't seen anything.

2 - Do they sell the actual charger for the battery packs? I haven't seen them anywhere online for purchase. I don't need one at this point, but if I ever lost it I would have a lot more piece of mind knowing I could replace it.

Now for the fun stuff! A little background before buying the XP50 I had an IR Patrol and IR Reap. I still have those and plan to keep them and am just adding the XP50 to the arsenal. My biggest fear when buying the new thermal was that the image quality would be way worse than the IR Reap. In reality I agree with the people that the image of the XP50 is around 85% - 90% of the IR Reap. All in all it's a pretty decent picture!

I have to say I am falling in love with the XP50. No doubt the IR Defense scopes have a better picture with the 12 micron core, but all the features on the XP50 make up for it no question. To try and have an extended battery pack and a DVR for the Trijicon is damn near impossible. Wires and zip ties and pouches everywhere I can barely cock the damn gun. Having all of that built into the XP50 is amazing. I love the internal recording, I love the wifi to my phone, I love the battery packs I can recharge, I love the recoil activated filming, I love the remote control, I love the one shot zero. Seriously pulsar has thought of damn near everything. If they had a 12 micron core in their pulsar scopes Trijicon would go out of business. I mean really, they make everything you need built in it really is great.

As a side note I did upgrade to the QD mount from Ultimate night vision so I could swap guns or put it on the top of my car to scan and bluetooth to my phone and I will say the upgrade is totally worth it if you want to use the XP50 on multiple guns or as a scanner and is a true return to zero.

Overall the Trijicon scopes still give me a hard on looking at the image through them, but you can't beat the features built into the XP50. If I had to have only one scope it would be the XP50. However, I"m keeping my Trijcon stuff too. :)

fanninland

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great to hear a first hand comparison between the upper tier Trijicon/IRD and Pulsar units. I appreciate you posting the comments - should be helpful in a buyi g decision.

Bob Capps

I too wanted an extra charger but they are not available yet. I did get a larger battery though.

Fredhorace77

I just bought an XP50 and have a couple of questions:

1 - Does anyone know what size eye piece or if they sale aftermarket eye pieces for the XP50? I"m not a huge fan of the one that comes standard and ideally I would love one that cloese entirely like the one that comes on the IR Reap but haven't seen anything.

2 - Do they sell the actual charger for the battery packs? I haven't seen them anywhere online for purchase. I don't need one at this point, but if I ever lost it I would have a lot more piece of mind knowing I could replace it.

Now for the fun stuff! A little background before buying the XP50 I had an IR Patrol and IR Reap. I still have those and plan to keep them and am just adding the XP50 to the arsenal. My biggest fear when buying the new thermal was that the image quality would be way worse than the IR Reap. In reality I agree with the people that the image of the XP50 is around 85% - 90% of the IR Reap. All in all it's a pretty decent picture!

I have to say I am falling in love with the XP50. No doubt the IR Defense scopes have a better picture with the 12 micron core, but all the features on the XP50 make up for it no question. To try and have an extended battery pack and a DVR for the Trijicon is damn near impossible. Wires and zip ties and pouches everywhere I can barely cock the damn gun. Having all of that built into the XP50 is amazing. I love the internal recording, I love the wifi to my phone, I love the battery packs I can recharge, I love the recoil activated filming, I love the remote control, I love the one shot zero. Seriously pulsar has thought of damn near everything. If they had a 12 micron core in their pulsar scopes Trijicon would go out of business. I mean really, they make everything you need built in it really is great.

As a side note I did upgrade to the QD mount from Ultimate night vision so I could swap guns or put it on the top of my car to scan and bluetooth to my phone and I will say the upgrade is totally worth it if you want to use the XP50 on multiple guns or as a scanner and is a true return to zero.

Overall the Trijicon scopes still give me a hard on looking at the image through them, but you can't beat the features built into the XP50. If I had to have only one scope it would be the XP50. However, I"m keeping my Trijcon stuff too. :)

Thank you so much for the honest review.

JoeBano

I am on the hunt for a different eyepiece also if I find something that works will let you know. Good to know about the chargers not being available I will definitely keep track of this one. I also got an extra battery, when you need it you got it.

Rock Taxi

I am looking to order an XP50, but it seems they are out of stock everywhere I usually shop. Any suggestions where to find one that it is not a backordered item?

darrohn801

LSB Member
I am looking to order an XP50, but it seems they are out of stock everywhere I usually shop. Any suggestions where to find one that it is not a backordered item?
It was hard for me to track one down, seemed like everyone was out. My best advice would be to just pick a vendor and pre pay and wait. I think I remember most people saying in the next few weeks they would have some coming in.