Pulsar HD38s Thermal Monocular First Testing

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't know, maybe Hard_Ware can weaponize this one too like he did his LS64.

My PVS14 is 1x and I wish it were 3x at times
Lol well yes but that's not the norm. I'll have to see them side by side I have the mtm so won't be buying either.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That has not been my impression with using optics in the daylight to scan. So I am not sure why it would be preferred at night.

In the daytime you can already see most things you just need the optics to magnify far away targets. We are not talking daytime the thermal let's you see period without it you can't. So that is apples to oranges.

Well I'm scanning large areas with my monocular just trying to spot targets. So the 1x works better. I use the scope if I need magnification. Also I would imagine a magnified monocular would be hard to drive and walk with which is very doable with the MTM and X320. In fact I helmet mount the mtm instead of the pvs on some super dark nights or under the cover of thick trees. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks when I have both units side by side.

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
With Brian's permission I am going to lob information and videos into his field test review, so as to avoid concurrent reviews.

I received my Pulsar HD38s today, lots of neat features and a drastically better image than the previous, and more expensive, HD38.

The menu is simple and straight forward, there are three image settings urban (high contrast), forrest (low contrast), identification (high intensity).

The menu symbols have a brightness setting "M" and there is a first aid symbol for dead pixel repair via software manipulation which I thought was a great idea for those who plan to use and keep this monocular for a long time.

Both sets of my rechargeable batteries failed to power the unit so I used the supplied Energizer Lithium batteries.

For the following videos I powered on the unit and began recording so there is a higher number of auto-calibrations seen and the image is trying to regulate, anyhow this was more of a function test more than anything else.

Daytime use with video captured via video out port.

Brian, I didn't see these animals on your list above so I had to make these my first contribution :D

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
#1 was real fuzzy, is there a focus adjustment? with no reticle I assume this is a spotting scope, can it attach in front or back of a scope? Thanks

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No it's a monocular for spotting frank not a weapons sight.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Being that we have never done much with Pulsar I haven't seen one of these yet. What brand of core are they using and length of warranty term?

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Eric -

Warranty is 3 years

I am not exactly sure on the core, I will have to ask them and get back to you. I know in their future riflescopes it is going to be a French made core. And I know that it isn't a FLIR core.

UPDATE: The core is supplied by ULIS-IR, it is a 384x288 resolution, 25 micron, uncooled design. Rated Mean Time To Failure (MTTF) is 20 years.

More information available here: http://www.ulis-ir.com/index.php?infrared-detector=25--m-384x288hv

Frank -

No clip on capability, just a viewer. The image is fuzzy because it was just started up and I was in a hurry , evidently hurry = blurry :p

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Ben and the price point? What is the least expensive handheld thermal?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I found it on amazon for $3,980. I don't understand the fuzzy on start up thing none of mine do that are you sure you just did not have it focused?

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Fuzzy can be perceived as the vertical lines on the image, after each cal you can see the change in contrast and a clearing of the lines but since the thermal was run less than 5 minutes for each video from a off status the auto cal was doing its thing. It kind of creates a blur.

But technically speaking, Yes the optic focus is the primary factor of focus/sharpness and I had it close but may not have been spot on.

I will get more video over the weekend to see how sharp I can get it after it has been running for 10 - 15 minutes.

MAP pricing on these is about 4k.

The cheapest handheld monocular is probably a refurbished FLIR PS24 which is currently going for 1699.00

HTXH

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
To me it looked sharp and then the focus got moved just a tad. Thanks for the reviews guys!

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member

Happy 4th everyone, Be sure to watch in HD resolution

Screen shows better than video portrays, this was captured through the video out port on an Angel Eyes DVR.

HTXH

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Here are a few clips through the HD38s over the weekend

Coyote Decoy at 25 yards with a surprise visit from a Fox

Coyote Decoy at 25 - 200 yards

Scanning a mowed hay field, skunk at 75 yards and what appears to be a lone hog at 450 yards

HTXH