Predator versus Zeus Thermal Scope Guidance

Randy

Iowa
Question 1 - What has been your experience night time shooting with a Predator 2-8 x 25mm thermal scope? From watching multiple YouTube videos, the Predator owners seem happy that "the scope allows them to shoot within their capability" - I like this phrase because it offers common sense guidance in my situation.

Question 2 - Is the Zeus 336 3-12 x 42mm that much better than Predator and how? It seems to me that purchasing the entry level Zeus acquires the basic platform that the higher end models have, without the bells and whistles, which I do not need. (because the higher end scopes are not within my capability to use them)

Background - After experiencing my first (and incredible) feral hog kill in Georgia using night vision and thermal technology, I am putting together a night rifle to complement my day rifles (AR 15 and M1A). From reviewing the Lone Star Boars videos and reading this forum, I decided on the rifle (purchased LWRC Six8 SPC) and have been very happy with it just like the forum members said. Now I am completing my due diligence before purchasing a thermal rifle scope. After that, then a suppressor since they are now legal in Iowa. The challenge is spending $3,000 - $5,000+ on a thermal scope that I can not even hold before acquiring it. No other purchase seems to require that leap of faith from a buyer so I turn to forum member's expertise and actual experience to help guide me.

Limitations - I am not able to deduct rifle, scope, suppressor as business expense, which means my purchases need to be what I need, not what I want. With children in college, my purchases are with "lunch money' as a forum member mentioned in their post. After talking to Armasight representatives, it seems either the Predator or Zeus models will meet my needs, which are 1) detect target at 200 years and 2) acquire target to take a reliable shoot up to 100 yards. At age 60, longer yardage shots are fun but not very productive :).

PS - This is my very first post (EVER) on any forum so you know I am serious in obtaining the wisdom and guidance you share.

Best regards, Randy

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome Randy!! The only thing I did not like about the Predator was the fixed front focal lens, otherwise it worked well for what you are suggesting is your use, so my vote would be for the Zeus. Also any upgrade from the 25mm Predator lens is a benefit. Good luck!

PS.. there are places that can rent you a unit to try before you buy

Randy

Iowa
Welcome Randy!! The only thing I did not like about the Predator was the fixed front focal lens, otherwise it worked well for what you are suggesting is your use, so my vote would be for the Zeus. Also any upgrade from the 25mm Predator lens is a benefit. Good luck!

PS.. there are places that can rent you a unit to try before you buy

Frank T,
Thank you very, very much for taking the time and offering your guidance. Best regards and enjoy the holiday weekend.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You bet, that is the best thing about this forum folks willing to help! You sure did get a nice rifle!!

Randy

Iowa
You bet, that is the best thing about this forum folks willing to help! You sure did get a nice rifle!!

Thank you. Brownell's opened a huge, new warehouse and retail center 50 miles from here. I was able to go in 4 times to talk with the sales representatives, hold and check out many rifles, including the LWRC Six8 SPC. Between the videos, forum, internet research and site visits, I got comfortable with the LWRC. It is a wonderful rifle. Unfortunately the same assistance is not available to help me select the appropriate thermal scope, which is why forum member's comments are so important to me.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm with Frank. I used the predator on a few hunts and made a couple of videos. It is a very useable scope for $3K. However, stepping up to a zeus 42mm 336 is a big difference. The difference will shine more as weather conditions worsen. As humidity, temperature, and/or fog increase the thermal image degrades. The bigger the objective lens and higher resolution scopes will perform much better.

All that said. Go with the biggest glass and highest res you can afford. You will be happier. Zeus 42mm is my suggestion of the two you mentioned.

Randy

Iowa
I'm with Frank. I used the predator on a few hunts and made a couple of videos. It is a very useable scope for $3K. However, stepping up to a zeus 42mm 336 is a big difference. The difference will shine more as weather conditions worsen. As humidity, temperature, and/or fog increase the thermal image degrades. The bigger the objective lens and higher resolution scopes will perform much better.

All that said. Go with the biggest glass and highest res you can afford. You will be happier. Zeus 42mm is my suggestion of the two you mentioned.

Afalex1 - Thank you very, very much for taking the time and offering your guidance. Best regards and have a great weekend and holiday.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
N
Afalex1 - Thank you very, very much for taking the time and offering your guidance. Best regards and have a great weekend and holiday.

No problem and welcome to the fray. This site is full of nuts, but we are all here to help eachother.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The guys above pretty much said everything. The three main differences are no ability to fine focus, smaller lens, no American Defense Mount. The predator us an entry level scope that would have been a $10k thermal 6 years ago. It will get the job done if you never look through another thermal you won't know what you are missing.

Randy

Iowa
The guys above pretty much said everything. The three main differences are no ability to fine focus, smaller lens, no American Defense Mount. The predator us an entry level scope that would have been a $10k thermal 6 years ago. It will get the job done if you never look through another thermal you won't know what you are missing.

Thank you for your guidance.

I want to also thank you for your videos, forum and continuing education on all things feral hog eradication. My oldest son and I enjoyed our very first hunt together. It was down South where the hospitality and mentoring was outstanding. My sons and I (supported by wife and daughter) have all embraced doing our part in feral hog eradication.

From what my son and learned from our initial adventure using our host's and their neighbor's AR10, night vision and thermal scopes to get our first hog, we are putting our own delivery system together (LWRC rifle, thermal and suppressor) so we can meet the challenge in the near future using our equipment.

Once again, I can not thank you enough for what you do to educate new participants into feral hog eradication.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Randy, you are too kind and nice, Please don't give TLM a bigger head than he already has! Toughen up and say something about him drowning his hunting vehicle!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Randy, you are too kind and nice, Please don't give TLM a bigger head than he already has! Toughen up and say something about him drowning his hunting vehicle!
Bad minion to the basement with you.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I hear you were up to a size 9 cowboy hat?

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One thing I don't see listed listed is the Predator has a LCD viewer screen vs the OLED on the 42mm Zeus model. I haven't seen the a predator so don't really know how much overall affect that has between these two models it would be interesting to hear thoughts on users about this?

Randy

Iowa
One thing I don't see listed listed is the Predator has a LCD viewer screen vs the OLED on the 42mm Zeus model. I haven't seen the a predator so don't really know how much overall affect that has between these two models it would be interesting to hear thoughts on users about this?

Thank you for your comment. Everyone has been very helpful.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love the Zeus 42 mm 336 just stick with the 30 hz.