My Carry Knife, Autos Primarily

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
100_0202.JPG Well I had a nice Benchmade I carried and somehow have misplaced it, pissed me off so much and knowing I would eventually find it I did not want to spend another $300 for one. Since then I have made it a quest of sorts to gather different auto's as inexpensively as possible. Flea market finds of $5 and $20 were the first, Then Kershaw and Schrade started making them and the last one I got was an OTF Lightning and clone of a well made expensive knife.

Anyway None were over $39 and the first in the pic is a $24 OTF. Yeah the Benchmade was a better knife but these are sharp and also if I lose one I will not cry. All have been 100% function and w my carbide sharpener I can keep them very useful! Fl CCW is a weapons permit so we can carry almost anything.

The sharpener, very inexpensive, I have used these for 10 years at least finally broke the original and got 3 new ones these are $2+ from China or $8 from a US seller. tungsten carbide steel
Samurai Shark Tungsten Carbide Steel Super Knife Blade Tool Scissors Sharpener

s-l500.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to have enough knives to last at least ten lifetimes. And, no shortage of a means of keeping them sharp too, from stones, to diamonds, steels, polishing wheels, strop...

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well those are just the autos not the fixed or folders...lol My grand daughter thought the gun one was cute so she bought it for me, it is totally worthless! Came with a mini holster too...only one I have cut myself on

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love the ad for the sharpener....looks like he is about to cut his hand in half. lol
I buy them at flea markets too when I can, usually give away so many I forget where they went. Carry a few Kershaws now that I have deemed "keepers".

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have you ever used that sharpener?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've never seen that sharpener but have a few made by Smith and a couple made for broadheads. The difference is they have the hole you put your hand through so you don't slip and cut your hand. Same premise though I suppose.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
these lay flat on a counter and have an edge that catches on a flat end I have the one you mentioned too this seems to be a finer sharpening

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got my new OTF Lightning Carry Knife today 440c Stainless is sharp and very quick in and out! It is supposed to be camo but not really...the 2 od green stripes don't make it disappear

Lightning.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
440C can be tough to GET sharp, but when it is... it's a nice edge to work with in the field. I have an old Buck 119 (second one, broke the tip off my first one) that I had to work and work and work on my diamond sharpener. After a bunch of working, I finally FELT when the edge took. Boy, howdy... did it take too !! Shaving sharp when it did.

Good lookin' pocket knife blade on it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yes sir, hard to sharpen but lasts a long time, I guess i will get it professionally done.

dman62

LSB Member
I took the auto knife plunge a couple months back and got a Kershaw launch 3 with the S35V blade steel. Its could use a little grip to it and the blade sometimes bounces past the lock but I'd buy it again if something happened to it.