My Archery Hunting

Fubar

Arrow Slinger
Though I'd share a couple of my 2013 bow hunts. The first is a hunt in the "golden triangle" of Illinois. My Wife bought me a hunt with Cornbelt Whitetail Outfitters during the archery hunt. This just happened to be in the middle of the November rut. The hunt was a 5 day hunt and it was unseasonably warm the first three days. My guide had put me in a treestand over a food plot made up of mostly turnips and sugar beets. I saw does, small bucks and even a couple of coyotes the first four days. Even had a couple of small bucks walk within 20yds with one walking under my stand. On the fifth day they decided to move me to another stand where I might get a chance for a nice buck. Everyday I spent all day in the stand. From before light till after dark I never got down. So by the fifth and last day I knew I was doing everything that would give me the best chance to score. Unfortunately by 4pm I had again seen small bucks and one doe but not the minimum size I had in my head. Just as I was starting to feel a little sorry for myself for spending money on a hunt that I wouldn't harvest a nice buck. Let's face it I'm no different than most, just a working man and certainly not able to spend money each year to hunt Illinois. I see a buck moving across the field in front of me on an angle that would not take him to me but out of my range. I whipped out the grunt call and gave him a couple grunts not expecting him to do anything but keep going. To my surprise he reacted to my grunts and started towards me slightly to my left. He entered the tree line still out of my range but I knew if he continued on the same angle he would be behind my tree at about 22yds. I had looked around the tree several times during the morning and knew I could lean slightly and shoot through a small opening at that yardage. Standing with my bow in hand here came the buck walking towards the aforementioned opening. As he stepped into the area I released my Gold Tip and Rage X-treme hitting the buck just behind the shoulder passing through both lungs. The 215lb buck took two jumps and feel dead within my sight. For me this was the bottom of the ninth, two outs with me at the plate representing the winning run. Below is end of a great Illinois deer hunt.

And this is the deer mounted by a local taxidermist.

My other very memorable hunt was in Texas with Pigman and Dap Quaca. This hunt was not planned and I pretty much fell into it for very little money. A whole lot less than was spent on my Illinois hunt. This hunt was my first for wild pigs and didn't really know what to expect. My second evening sitting in a pop-up blind I had this boar come into a feeder at 20yds. All I could see was his cutters and whetters and had to settle myself down to make a good shot. It was also a little strange listening to him crunch corn while being vocal with his grunts. This time I was using a Grim Reaper Hades on the end of a Carbon Express Piledriver. I was told that good penetration was a must with pigs and their infamous shields. To my joy I made a good shot behind the shoulder with a complete pass-through. I got a piece of his heart and part of his lungs but he bolted out of there like he was late for an appointment. We waited about 30 minutes and then followed the bloodtrail about 50yds where he was piled up. Below is the 250lb boar that I shot and the mount from a taxidermist in Texas.

This the mounted boar with my ole buddy Dap who had to get into the picture. This was taken at Triple Q Outfitters in Groesbeck.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good looking animals Sir. I don't know about Dap though. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You made some great memories there!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice hunts and mounts. The bow hunt deer is an unusual mount. So is Dap, never saw anyone mounted that way.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some nice hunts, and some fine critterage there. Mounts turned out nice.