mercy buck

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well I did it again {the same thing happened last year}! I watched this buck limp a long ways across the field and attempt to chase does. I looked him over good and decided he was too young to kill. As the sun started to set he spotted me sitting on the ground and headed towards me. Why I have no idea? He was now less than 30 yards from me and I could see he couldn’t move his leg at all, it was curled under him. He couldn’t even put it on the ground. His knee was 3 times the normal size and his should blade protruded in an odd manner. He would never be able to use that leg again. At twenty yards I decided to take him. He dropped right there and never even twitched.

1385948_617844791587551_205385045_n.jpg

1472014_617844938254203_1285394996_n.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice buck! We also cull and have mercy too, it is the right thing to do for the animal! My cull buck are not near that nice...LOL

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Cull! You call that a cull! Besides the bad leg that Buck is trophy quality. You guys and your managed deer herds. Geez. Come hunt the Ozark mountains in Arkansas and you will rarely see a deer get that size. Different terrains and habitat really can dictate how animals grow.

Nice job Glen.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No but he did cull an injured animal, our typical trophys are nowhere like that either

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I understand that part of the term cull, but that is a good sized whitetail to call a cull. What's the rest of the herd look like?

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
most here don't kill deer like that either but they hunt freakin feeders. I hate watchin feeders. I watch travel corridors or call'em in.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I think feeders are boring too. I tried it for a while and couldn't stand it. I like travel corridors for deer and the old stick and string in my hand. I like to try to rattle and grunt them in.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I mean if you need help "culling..."
Bwhahahha. Good backstrap!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd love to get a chance at a deer that size. Nicely done.