Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20 w/Pig Plex

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
I received my VX-R 1.25-4x20mm with the Pig Plex on 5-25-13, and one thing for sure is the reticle is bold, stands out and should be great for hunting in the brush, pipelines, fields, etc and low light (even without the illuminated dot).

I also compared the brightness of the scope to my Bushnell 4200 and the 4200 looked a bit brighter at first light (dawn). However, the image and reticle on the VX-R was clearer with no illumination (great combo between glass and reticle IMO). I did try the illumination in low light and in the dark and it worked like a charm. I even turned it up all the way and the illumination did not obstruct the view.

Because the reticle is etched and bold at all times, I didn’t see a point in trying out the illumination in bright or direct sunlight.

I also ordered a Leupold Mark 2 30mm mount and the combined weight of both the scope and mount is 18.2 oz. which is about 7 ounces lighter than the Bushnell 4200, PEPR and/or AMD mounts.

I went to the range and mounted the scope on my DPMS AR 22 and played around with it before mounting on my 6.8.

Down below are some pictures of the scope mounted on my 6.8 and the target (bad cell pic). What was amazing to me was the first (3 shot) group with 6.8 was with no adjustment made (the zero was from the DPMS 22).

Needless to say, one ¼” click adjustment to the right and she was zero’d at 50 yds.

Just sharing my thoughts and this was not intended to be a detailed review. I’m happy with my purchase and should work out fine for my intended purpose of hunting pigs (scouting) in thick brush ,low light conditions (dusk/dawn) and at a distance of 25’ -300yds.

Only time, field and additional range use will weigh in on how it will work out for me.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do you notice the extra ".25" of magnification down low? I was intrigued by 'em when the first came out... but, am kinda holding out for a true 1x that really grabs me (when I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket).

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
Yeah, I notice it a little bit and it's more like 1.50, but have no problem getting on a target at 15' .

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, I'll have to put a wet eyeball print on one and see for myself.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So bottom line would you get the PigPlex or the VX-R 3-9x40 with the firedot reticle? Does the PigPlex view the same as the firedot and turn off when not in use, come back on when you handle the rifle?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So bottom line would you get the PigPlex or the VX-R 3-9x40 with the firedot reticle? Does the PigPlex view the same as the firedot and turn off when not in use, come back on when you handle the rifle?

I'd say, determine which magnification range best suits your terrain and go from there.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With my poor eyes at this age, I would say the 3-9x40 on my 6.8 rifle but the pig plex on the 6.8 pistol might be nice.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, there's always that too. I dunno if it's more a confidence crutch, or something to it... but, I'm more sure of my shots through glass than I am irons. But, I'm definitely reaching the point in age where the "buy once, cry once" theme is becoming more important.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
Yes, the illumination turns off after 5 minutes or so and turns on when I pick up the rifle.

The 1.25-4 is perfect for the types of terrain (mostly brush and dense woods) I hunt and of coarse, on fast moving targets ( wide field of view) too. I have no problem shooting with both eyes open which is key for fast moving targets.

A 2-7x32 and 3-9x40 would be good for 25-400 yards depending on terrain and FOV.

Leupold's website depicts each type of reticle and also Gun Blast has a youtube video of the Pig Plex (also, VXR Patrol and Zombie)

Here's the video: (TXLAWMAN, delete if this is not allowed)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=z25cAL1sbxA&desktop_uri=/watch?v=z25cAL1sbxA

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I need 2 a 3-9x40 and the Pig Plex, $1000..YIKES, this poor old guy cannot afford that but I still talk these scopes up!

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
I need 2 a 3-9x40 and the Pig Plex, $1000..YIKES, this poor old guy cannot afford that but I still talk these scopes up!

The pig plex (unless you order from Leupold Custom Shop) only comes in a 1.25-4x20 in the VXR or VX1.

The Optic Zone carries the VXR line for $699-$479 (depending on model) and unitl July 9th thay have a discount code on their website for 9% off majority of their products.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah i was going to get the 1.25-4 for my pistol and the 3-9x40 for my rifle

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Alternative ---> (?) I have been using the Leupold 1-4X24 Heavy Duplex for some years now. It is marketed as their Shotgun/ML scope. (These also come in a 2-7X33 version). These can be had for right at $200 normally and you can find them on sale sometimes for <$200 and free shipping from Cabela's.

I do not know what the scope does set to 1X...however...it seems to be quite easily used with both eyes open. These scopes are clear and bright,easy to focus the diopter, and they are short and light. They also have a 1 inch main tube. --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Right now I have a 4x30 shotgun scope on my 6.8 pistol, works ok

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Forgot ...the ones that I mentioned in my above are parallax free at 75yds also. IMO...another plus for the scopes.

Quite often Cabela's has a $20 off if you buy an item worth $199 or more....plus free shipping. I have gotten quite a few of these scopes for $180'ish. To me....great deal for a Leupold. --- pruhdlr