Latest knife project

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's been a while for me lately....met a gal a while back and getting married in July...Yikes!!! Taking my hog hunting time for domestic requirements temporarily. That and my hunting spots right now have been "hog free" lately.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's been a while for me lately....met a gal a while back and getting married in July...Yikes!!! Taking my hog hunting time for domestic requirements temporarily. That and my hunting spots right now have been "hog free" lately.
We want pix of you in your lace trimmed apron now. Congrats Dan... may the two of you have the very best of life together !!

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the coming nuptials, Dan

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

WHAT? OMG, I cannot believe it! Congrats if it makes you happy...She a hunter?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
WHAT? OMG, I cannot believe it! Congrats if it makes you happy...She a hunter?
It was a long time coming...she is a true gem of a woman. Met her on Christian Mingle...on our 3rd date we knew we were going to get married. Does she hunt? She hasn't but she wants to, she also says she wants me to hunt whenever I want to which may be even better! lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I wish the very best for both of you!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It was a long time coming...she is a true gem of a woman. Met her on Christian Mingle...on our 3rd date we knew we were going to get married. Does she hunt? She hasn't but she wants to, she also says she wants me to hunt whenever I want to which may be even better! lol

Does she have a sister? LOL

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Does she have a sister? LOL
Funny...but yes! Neither has ever been married but my sister is fun and the other.... kind of not so much.
So..ok...here is the kicker. Her name is Leti (Leticia) she is 47 yrs old and a virgin. Yes, that is what I said. lol
She really dedicated her life to the Lord and school and she waited for the right man to come along and sweep her off her feet!
So no hanky--panky until we get married...so July 2nd it is. Kind of rushed that a bit. lol

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats Dan.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Congratulations Dan and all the best for you two kids. If you half as happy as I am, you are a lucky man.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congratulations Dan, she sounds great! Wish yall the best!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A follow up to this project, I was able to kill a hog last week and try out my knife. I used it first to field dress the hog where she ended up in the field. She taped out at 200 lbs and I was by myself so I had to lighten the weight as much as I could. I started just below the breast bone with the knife upside down and basically un-zipped her all the way down to the pelvis. It cut so smooth, it was no problem staying out of the intestines. It also helped that she had a lot of fat on her. After getting her hung up back at the shop, I proceeded to open her up intending to mainly take the back straps and the hams first. The knife worked very well and when skinning the back down to her hams it was almost effortless. This was one of the fastest skinning jobs I had done in a long time and the knife made it pretty easy. After getting her open and removing one side of the back straps, it was beginning to take more effort than I felt comfortable with and not having anything to touch up the blade, I decided to switch knives for the rest of the job. All in all, I feel like the blade did very good for my garage project. I haven't found any knife that will hold up to much more than that when working on a hog. They seem to eat the edge off a knife pretty quickly and you HAVE to touch up the blade during the processing or you work yourself to death. The one thing I was worried about was the hardness, but it seems like it is much harder than I thought. Also, the deep belly of the blade makes skinning a breeze.

Got all the way to here before the blade started to get a little dull and needed touching up.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks like the knife is a good one. That is a good amount of fat on that one, should be tasty!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats Dave. Cutting through hair is one of the quickest ways to dull an edge. Lookin' like a keeper right there. Good lookin' hog too.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I always use a hook blade razor knife to cut the hide thru the hair and not use my good knife as it really dulls the heck out of them. That does look like a good design, well done.