Helping Keep Batteries Warm in Cold Temps?

JPM_6.8

LSB Member
I’ve run my Apollo 640 with the extended battery pack for 3-4hrs before with the battery indicator showing a hair below full charge on several occasions over the past year or two.

This past weekend I went out on Sunday and as the temps dropped my battery indicator started tanking. At the 2-2.5hr mark, it started flashing. I had an extra set of CR123’s in my pocket so I swapped those to give me an extra charge, so the pack didn’t die on me, but seemed it was close.

Got home and put the batteries on the charger, both gave a green light (charged) and when I started the scope back up - battery showed full.

It mighta been a fluke, but I feel like I’ve been out in much colder temps without this issue.

I’ve ordered new batteries in the event these batteries are starting to wear out. But has anyone tried wrapping the battery pack with a hand warmer or something to keep them from getting zapped by the cold temps?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thought. Use Reflectix and foil tape to construct a wrap for the battery pack. Use sticky Velcro to seal the lid. Leave enough room at the top to be able to insert a hand warmer. Use the hand warmer for your hands until it's got about 1/2 hour of life left, lift the Velcro flap and insert weakened hand warmer atop the battery pack and seal it back up. Get new hand warmer for your meat hooks and be happy. Use Gorilla tape over the Reflectix to make it all black.