Hello Stanky Leg brethren!!

milkdud

My name is Mark Conner. I have properties in Montgomery and Polk counties. Still residing in Harris county until I retire from the county gig. I've watched many of Todd's videos to get a better insight to this problem. I have learned much more about eradicating these animals more effectively from his information. Thank you Mr. Huey. Now every time I see the stanky leg when I drop a hog, I can't help but laugh. Our problems with hogs on our property wasn't this bad ten years ago. These past five years have been just awful. The only effective traps we ever had on our properties were simple figure C traps. They aren't very effective on larger hogs unless you set real posts in, so it basically makes it a hassle even with a tractor and auger once the location gets burned out. We considered the fancy drop cages and remote actuated gate corrals..but unless you get a few landowners to share the expense, they are too expensive. Now we bait sites, trap as many as we can in the figure C'c, then do night kills. I use night vision for the most part. I really like the thermals, but it's out of my price range for now. One of our group has one and it is a great asset in the field with NV. I'll post up our next kill off in a few weeks. Ya'll be safe out there and get that stanky !

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome to the group!
Indeed, even a low-end thermal monocular coupled with night vision on a rifle can be effective.
I have an old Pulsar HD19-type monocular. It's only 1X (no) magnification, 9Hz refresh rate, pretty ancient technology but it still works and I find it adequate for short- to medium-range scanning (which I define as out to 400-500 yards). I can't count on identifying whatever's there if it's more than a couple of hundred yards out, but I can at least know when an animal shows up.

Of course, then I fire up my IR Hunter 60mm MK3 and take a closer look. But, I started out with a Photon IR scope and had success with it.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray.