Hello All!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nothing wrong w the x39, in fact I have an AR in X39, it is a short range tactical rd. A few good hunting rds have been developed, the Hornady 123SST steel cased is one and the brass S&B SP 123gr come to mind. a good 150 yd rd and a 1MOA out of an AR and 3-5MOA out of an AK. The AK is the issue not the X39. I have never shot a SIG in X39 so have no idea they make an AK, I hope if Sig made it and it is a AK clone that it is a more accurate weapon.

A lot of people use the 556 again with the right ammo to take hogs. I do prefer a heavier better performing rd but I have used them all.

I guess you bought the cheap russian ammo? if so it is known to be not as accurate because of varying powered and bullet weights, they are not as strict as we are in the manufacturing side.

Hey this is nothing about you, all about the shop owner...please take no offense at all because we are all on your side! I hope the Sig works well and you plink w the cheaper ammo and hunt w the better rds to have a more positive experience.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nothing wrong w the x39, in fact I have an AR in X39, it is a short range tactical rd. A few good hunting rds have been developed, the Hornady 123SST steel cased is one and the brass S&B SP 123gr come to mind. a good 150 yd rd and a 1MOA out of an AR and 3-5MOA out of an AK. The AK is the issue not the X39. I have never shot a SIG in X39 so have no idea they make an AK, I hope if Sig made it and it is a AK clone that it is a more accurate weapon.

Thanks for the advice. I had originally considered an actual AK. Yes, I did take the shop owners advice without doing more digging in advance.

I took a min to read the reviews last night. http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/14/gun-test-sig-sauer-556r-in-7-62x39/ "The Tula 122-grain FMJ load fared similarly with multiple three-shot groups measuring just a little over an inch, while five-shot groups spread out into the 2 and 3 inch ranges. "
I went strait to the range from the gun shop with 80 rounds of Tula fmj, and had the same experience with my 3x scope @ 50 & 100 yards. To date my average hog shots have been between 50 & 75 yards. Im satisfied knowing a round is going to hit within an 1 1/2" @ 50 yards.

When I was talking ammo with the shop owner he put his hand on a box of Hornady ballistic tipped ammo and said it was the best. I agree it is better, I however am not interested in spending triple the money on shrinking my shot group 1/2". I understand the FMJ ammo has its place, its what I used at the range cause it was all he had on the shelf. You can be sure Ill run a bunch more of the Tula ammo at the range. If it doesn't remain consistent within the 3" groups Ill switch, and try the other brands out there.

Last, 1/2 of the wall space in the Gun shop was dedicated to AR stuff. After asking, the owner said building AR's was the majority of his business, and was what more people wanted. As mentioned I went into the shop talking about simply getting a 762 upper for my AR. When I mentioned idea of later adding a suppressor to the gun for hunting hog at night, he steered me away from the AR to the adjustable gas piston system of the Sig. Sure you can easily add a can to an AR, he simply said it can cause other problems with an AR. I have no experience in this area so I just took his word for it. Over all when its all said and done, I can always sell the gun if Im not happy with its performance.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jut for your info in the future, I paid $250 for a X39 upper another 100 for the BCG, $250 for the lower. That is what I have into a X39 AR and yes it shoots steel cased ammo and it a 1 MOA gun.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nothing wrong w the x39, in fact I have an AR in X39, it is a short range tactical rd. A few good hunting rds have been developed, the Hornady 123SST.

Frank, I admit I had trouble believing it, but you were completely right about the Tula ammo. I've been saving my pennies for a thermal, in the meantime I've been trying different low power daylight scopes. I just picked up a Bushnell 4x dusk to dawn. Friday night I started out at 25 yards on a trigger stick tri-pod to find my L to R center, and moved out to 50 yards after about three rounds of the Tula ammo. After another 45 rounds I was 1/2 satisfied I was close to center. I know what your thinking 45 rounds is pitiful. Your right, I decided to ask a friend to use his cheap gun vice and went back out to the range last night to check to see how close I was.

After 5 to 6 rounds I stopped making adjustments, let the gun rest for 20 min, put up a fresh target and shot 5 rounds, with a 2-3 min break in-between shots. I had a 5" group @ 50 yards, the whole time I was thinking of what you had said before about the cheap russian ammo. Needless to say I ran home to grab the one 50 round box of Hornady ammo I had picked up.

Long story short within 5 rounds I was out to 75 yards, another 10 rounds was I confident I was close. Put up a fresh target, 4 more rounds without adjustments were within a 1" group, 3/4" right. The last adjustment gave me a center bulls eye. All of this was done at night with a full moon and a red LED gun light.

Like you said, Ill use the Tula for plinking, and the Hornady for hunting.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Slim, I went thru your frustration. I like a 1-2MOA gun and consistent ammo for hunting and some russian batches will do that some of the time but most will not.

Here is the problem as I understand it. I saw a guys test and what he found was inconsistent powder loads and bullet weights. He pulled the bullets, weighed them and the powder, it was all over the place. Then he reloaded the brass with the bullets that were consistent and with the same powder loads...these all shot at a consistent target..proving the inconsistencies are to blame. Then the construction of the hollow points are not the same as US ammo and tend to fragment with no particular pattern. The SP spire/soft point ammo was much more effective. I found the S&B(brass) 123gr SP and the Hornady(steel) 123SST to be accurate and effective hunting loads and the russian ammo I used for plinking.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just got my AR a few months back and it had never been shot so I grabbed some cheap ammo just to make sure it fired and cycled correctly. Tula ammo and at 25 yds just to get it on paper was inconsistent. I thought the gun was jacked up, not happy. After wasting a box of that stuff all I had left was some cheap Monarch ammo, so I got it on paper, went out to a hundred yards. First shot was low to the left, moved the gun so the scope was on that hole. While holding the gun steady , moved the scope up to the center of target and had a blast shooting bulls-eyes for the remainder of the box. If done right only takes 2 shots to sight in a gun but have to get on paper first. The Tula in my opinion is worthless except to spray and pray or make loud noises. Frustrating too.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank
I saw a guys test and what he found was inconsistent powder loads and bullet weights. He pulled the bullets, weighed them and the powder, it was all over the place. Then he reloaded the brass with the bullets that were consistent and with the same powder loads...these all shot at a consistent target..proving the inconsistencies are to blame.

So your saying I could simply take apart and reload all the Tula ammo? I see Hornady does sell the 123 g SST bullets just for reloading.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sure, that is what this guy did, put the most consistent weight bullets and the same powder charge in each one and ended up w an accurate rd in the SP as the HP were not worth it to him.