Full Moon Hunt: Lesson's Learned

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
6yJdGWBl.jpg

6hr Hunt (6pm-Midnight)
Wind Conditions Supposed to be 5-7 NNE but was swirling and variable all night long.
Temperatures started in the mid 60's dropped into mid 40's
Moon FULL
6 Sets.

1st set
Trusting my app. I set up in a place where I've seen multiple coyotes/bobcats.
Soon as I got set. The wind started blowing on my neck.
LESSON 1: Don't trust app. Use puffer.

2nd set
The wind was literally swirling (which it always is on this ridge). 90% of the time it was in my favor.
Using Alpha Dog Caller used Expert Jack Rabbit call.
Used Primos Decoy and another rabbit Decoy about 80 yards apart.
Kicked on 630 (sunset). Got quick pair howling almost instantly.
Sat there for 30 minutes. No reply.
LESSON 2: If there's any chance with wind is wrong don't try it.

3rd set
Moved opposite end of property.
Narrow 400 yard lane.
Wind was more consistent. After moon roes.
Used Denning Calls.
Heard one response call about 10 minutes into the hunt.
Then every coyote in the zip code started howling.
I stayed here for about an hour using different calls.
Then I got into a calling competing. This guy wasn't moving.
LESSON 3: Calling competition is fun. But FRUSTRATING.

4th set
More of tricky hunt b/c the wind was swirling again.
Set up on a long 300 yard pasture. Much wider.
Used Territory Call.
Just like last time: 10 minutes into the hunt. Got multiple responses. No movement.
LESSON 4: Repeat lesson 2!

5th set
Large open hay field.
Hog hunted for about an hour.
Kicked on Rabbit in Distress call.
Nothing, Nodda, Nope.
Lesson 5: NOTHING (including hogs) will come out into an open field under a bright full moon

6th set.
Ranch house over looks a vast area all shots under 300 yards.
(I've shot more coyotes off this deck than anywhere else on the property).
Turned on Territorial Call.
Instantly got a coyote barking.
Waited 15 minutes.
Turned on rabbit in distress. Coyote barked again.
Lesson 6: Repeat Lesson 3

One thing to note: We've had near flood conditions on this property due to the last 3 weeks of rain. Water is literally flowing over our pond dam. I purposely hunted high terrain. I also stuck to distress calls figuring them yotes gotta be hungry. But nothing was going to get these guys to leave their beds!

Last note: I have several neighbors who also night hunt. I didn't hear a gun shot all night long. Which I usually hear one or 50 a night.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
“Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett

You're doing great. Keep After 'Em!

Bacon8tor

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I almost went out hunting March 1 due to the full moon. Makes it much easier to navigate with no night vision. The pigs don't seem to mind what the moon is doing where I hunt.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Time in your boots,time in the woods,especially the time spent doing what you love to do will gain you the expierance to do it better. Knowingly or unknowingly,you learn something every time you go out.
But . . . I remember what an old Maine Guide once told me when we was talking about hunting the wind. Use the appropriate cover scent,not an attractant,and remember,most animals hunt/ travel into the wind if at all possible.
Another one is . . . If all the deer traveled into the wind,all the time,all the deer would be in Oregon.
Sooooooooo . . . . ---- pruhdlr

LSB Active Member
zen i'm super inexperienced with yotes and calling. my buddy has a fox pro he broke out last night pretty neat. could i please possibly bother you to expound on how much, how loud, how frequently, mixing in different animals etc? something seemingly as simple as volume matter? as it was cranked up last night i thought to myself i wonder if it's too loud or so loud a coyote says 'naaa we don't yelp like that something is off here i'm out'. i know we have to have more yotes than we see. 3 night ago i found one mixed in with several hundred head of cattle. was a lot of fun, bit frustrating as i could never get a shot at him w/o having cows b/t or behind him smart little booger i know he saw me in the full moon. i was laying down at several different times over about 90 minutes sometimes 20 fee from cows they don't care a thing about me when they are sleepy laying down. yote never closer than maybe 150. i know the hunt was just busted he had to have seen me, but it was fun to just be in there moving around seeing him work was hoping he'd come out into the clear. i see you kill a lot of yotes gotta get way better at this discipline[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
never had luck in a bright moon except where there was not light in deep woods or dark lanes

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I’m pretty inexperienced myself but have been doing a lot of reading and trading conversations with folks plus just logging hours in field.

As per volume level. Depends on the terrain and proximity to coyote locations.
-Big open areas I’d start at about 50-60% then crank that guy up.
-Thick wooded area close quarters. I start at about 30% and work up.

How much and Frequency
-Alpha Dog Caller has Professional calls built in that play anywhere from 15-25 minutes. I’ve had great success with these. Once you’ve listened to them for a while you can build your own set of calls.
-Frequency usually I’ll start with a typical coyote howel. Then sit 2-3 minutes. Then build a playlist that usually includes anywhere from 1 minute of calling then rest.

The more time you spend in the woods pay attention to varmint sounds.
-raccoons can fight long and loud.
-rabbits in distress. Usually short and but loud. -volls and other small rodents. They can chipper light but for a long time.

Mimic those sounds.

My experience with calls is they typically come in first 5-12 minutes. But with a thermal you can literally see them sit edge of woods 20 minutes before deciding what to do.

One time I left my caller on when a hog came in. Shot it. Went to look for sounder I heard when I got back hour later. Coyote was sitting edge of woods about 15 ft from caller. It was on auto play. He probably sat there 30-45 minutes after the call went off before I shot him.