First hunt with the W1000. 5 boars, 6 coyotes.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This weekend I finally got to use the w1000 and as promised tested the federal 90gr gold dots. Mounted the w1000 on my Bison Armory 16" upper, the gold dots were in federal brass with 30.5 gr of aa2200 powder.

Used my helmet mounted pvs-14 and thermal eye to spot and stalk, and the w1000 for shooting. When I spotted a target with the monoculars then targeted with the w1000 I was amazed at what all extra I could see birds, mice, animals hundreds of yards off that I never saw until turning the scope on.

The W1000 is simply amazing it is almost like cheating they just cant hide. Now on the other hand the 90gr gold dots were very disappointing to say the least. Everything I shot including the coyotes either ran long distances, took multiple hits or both.

All five hogs I shot were lone boars just barely over 200 pounds the largest was 220. The first was in a open pasture rooting I was down wind and had time he had no idea I was even there. Got to 50ish yards aimed for my normal center neck shot and fired. Head the thud of a solid he but he shot off like a bolt of lightning. Hit him twice more and he finally fell after running somewhere between 50-60 yards. He was still trying to get up so I shot him two more times. So boar #1 took 5 gold dots. Found one hit center neck, two in the shoulder, a gut shot, and a rear ham shot. The ham and gut shot must have been the final two shots when he was on the ground judging from the way they impacted.

Went to grab my camera and it had fallen out of my pocket fortunately the whole time I was walking I stuck to the road and the camera is white I found it not 10 yards from my truck whew :)! So back I go to get some pic's. Now a fog has moved in and its getting hard to see but when I start getting close it looks like the boar is moving again. Look at him through the scope and its two coyotes already chewing on him wow!

One of them must sense something is wrong and he takes off but the other is not so smart. Put the crosshairs on him fire thud and he runs into the woods ugggh I think bad shot. Finally found him way back in a creek bed center shoulder shot.

When I get back out of the woods I see the coyotes partner sitting out watching from about 100 yards. Again I fire thud runs falls and trying to get up so I have to shoot again and coyote two is dead. Do a quick scan and see a third coyote in the same pasture just watching! Pop thud it runs a good ways and then falls dead.

Started the hunt at about 2 am and now it was 4:30am I had been up almost 24 hours so I called it a night. I did kill two more coyotes on the way out both took two shots to finish them off.

Night two starts out well I have not walked even 10 minutes when I spot a hog. Take aim center neck pop thud he bolts, hit him three more times before he goes down then a fifth as he is trying to get up. Again one hit center neck, one head shot 4" below the ear, two shoulder hits, and a nasty gut shot that had to be the final hit because the bullet just cut him open. Both shoulder and the neck shots were complete penetrations.

Next up is another coyote about 80 yards fire pop thud runs close to if not over 100 yards before he dies. Are we starting to see a pattern here yet?

Next is the 220 pound boar the biggest of the weekend he has rooted himself a foxhole and is so into I walk right up to him. At 40 yards I decide to take a center shoulder shot this time at least slow him down. Pop thud runs like nothing happens. Five hits later he's down but still alive with two shoulder hits and three gut shots. He ran about 70-80 yards....

Boar number four same thing walk right up on him rooting take the neck shot again, and another runner he only took 4 shots and made it about 40-50 yards. One hit to the neck two to the shoulder and one rear shot as he ran away.

Finally as I was going back to my truck I see another boar coming right at me down the trail. He gets close within 30 yards before he sees me he stops turns broadside and I double tap him at 25-30 yards. Again same thing takes off I hit him four more times he still runs the 20-30 yards to the fence line crosses the road runs through two fences and about another 90 yards before he falls over dead. He took 6 hits three up close to the shoulder all three complete passthroughs two gut shots and a rear shot and still ran almost 110-120 yards..... While I was taking pictures of him a sounder of six hogs came out. I did not even shoot at them I was so frustrated with these gold dot bullets. I packed up my stuff and went back to the house.

Know this story is long and most wont read all of it but thought I should document fully the results with the 90gr gold dot. These were the pulled bullets that were sold to reloaders not sure if maybe they are defects or what but I wont be shooting animals with them anymore they will be target only.

Video and pics will be added soon.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Are you pushing the GD too fast? I keep hearing about 1 shot kills w them, you experience in no bueno!
I read the whole narrative, loved it! can't wait for the video and pics!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't think so Frank what ever it is I wont be shooting them at animals anymore unless I run out of sst's.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I still have them sighted in my 6.8 pistol, was hoping they were better than that. I felt like I needed the speed w my 8.5" barrel.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great story, I remember people getting similar results with barnes 95 TTSX. I never planned for the 90 GD to replace the proven 120 SST, which is a awesome pig smacker. I was thinking more for a deer round, but I will have to wait till next season to give that a go. Thanks for the report though.

I am ditching my nv scope for a much needed upgrade. I know the w1000 is a great optic, but I am still leaning toward the versatility of a PVS14 type set up. Right now with the funds I have set aside I can either go with just a w1000 or the whole PVS14 set up including all the accessories (DBAL-D2, helmet, PVS14, 3x mag, eotech, etc.)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wassman, I think the W1000 and a hand held/helmet mountable thermal would be the real way to go??

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Its a shame the gold dots aren't working out. I do.t think they are being pushed too fast since they are passing through and leaving exits about the size of a quarter.

They may not be expanding enough or violently enough to cause enough hydrostatic shock to disrupt muscle and nervous system function. Kind of like shooting them a FMJ.

I have shot several hogs with the same load TLM is using and they did die, but they ran farther than anything shot with a 120 sst.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I still have some SSA Barnes 110TSX and TTSX also plenty of the Fed Fusion 115rd before i go back to the factory 120's SST

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I tried the gold dots again this weekend as well. Let my friend use them out of my 12.7" LWRC. We had two runners after being shot. I put one 120SST in each of them and they went straight down. I do not know what the deal is with them (gold dots). I pulled one out of a pig and it was a perfect looking expanded bullet very similar to a 95TTSX.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks for the report TLM. I have some bad luck with the Fed. 115 gr. Fusions this season, but have not shot any of the GD's. I still have 80 of them so I guess they can be my target loads.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I want my video. heck i have 200 90 GD rds, guess it will make great range ammo, can replace my 120SST at the range.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Needless to say all the report I have been reading have not been good the the 90 GD. Although I have not seen much in the WT deer department. Couple years ago I was using the 120 SST on deer and it got the job done, but after a finding a separated jacket and two exit wounds from one bullet, I decided the 120 SST wasn't the best option. So this year I switch to the 110 Accubond and the results where much better with a clean entrance and exit, but these bullets are expensive. That is why I was looking at the 90 GD.

Right now I don't see ever topping the 120 SST as my hog load, unless the 270 AR is as promising as it looks. Then I am looking into the 130-140 arena at 120 speeds.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wassman, I think the W1000 and a hand held/helmet mountable thermal would be the real way to go??
That's alot of cheddar. Well over 10K OUCH

But yes you are right.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well if you get a W1000 and a pvs14 it is more than that? I would hate to pay the price for a PVS14 and then decide to buy a W1000. If you are so serious as to pay 8K for a unit, what is another 2K to get the best combo. I just cannot even think about the first 8K...LOL

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well if you get a W1000 and a pvs14 it is more than that? I would hate to pay the price for a PVS14 and then decide to buy a W1000. If you are so serious as to pay 8K for a unit, what is another 2K to get the best combo. I just cannot even think about the first 8K...LOL
No I only have enough for either a w1000 or a PVS-14 with added accessories. I wish I could afford both.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
As much as I love thermal imaging I think a PVS14 and the accesories to run it on a gun and/0r a helmet is the way to go if you can only afford one or the other.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As much as I love thermal imaging I think a PVS14 and the accessories to run it on a gun and/0r a helmet is the way to go if you can only afford one or the other.

In due time I plan to have both for demo purposes. We all know there is quite an investment when talking NV's and thermal. I can tell people how good they are all day, but nothing beats showing the real deal. These things almost sell themselves if you have the cash to drop.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One of them must sense something is wrong and he takes off but the other is not so smart. Put the crosshairs on him fire thud and he runs into the woods ugggh I think bad shot. Finally found him way back in a creek bed center shoulder shot.

When I get back out of the woods I see the coyotes partner sitting out watching from about 100 yards. Again I fire thud runs falls and trying to get up so I have to shoot again and coyote two is dead. Do a quick scan and see a third coyote in the same pasture just watching! Pop thud it runs a good ways and then falls dead.

Started the hunt at about 2 am and now it was 4:30am I had been up almost 24 hours so I called it a night. I did kill two more coyotes on the way out both took two shots to finish them off.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Night two starts out well I have not walked even 10 minutes when I spot a hog. Take aim center neck pop thud he bolts, hit him three more times before he goes down then a fifth as he is trying to get up. Again one hit center neck, one head shot 4" below the ear, two shoulder hits, and a nasty gut shot that had to be the final hit because the bullet just cut him open. Both shoulder and the neck shots were complete penetrations.
Entrance side

Eixt Side lots of blood caked with sand.

Next up is another coyote about 80 yards fire pop thud runs close to if not over 100 yards before he dies. Are we starting to see a pattern here yet?
Great exit wound they just would not drop.

Next is the 220 pound boar the biggest of the weekend he has rooted himself a foxhole and is so into I walk right up to him. At 40 yards I decide to take a center shoulder shot this time at least slow him down. Pop thud runs like nothing happens. Five hits later he's down but still alive with two shoulder hits and three gut shots. He ran about 70-80 yards....
This is the exit side he is the only one that did not have complete penetrating wounds, but he was at an angle.

This is the hole he was making while rooting. Hard to tell but its about knee deep and 6'x6'