Finally Crossed the "50" Threshold

diggler1833

LSB Active Member
50 downed and recovered (photographed) hogs that is from thermal hunting. I bet some of you thought that I turned 50...I'm well short of that age...I just look that old after being beat on for so many years, being fueled by caffeine and hate.

Nope. Just finally crossed the 50 dead pigs mark. I'm still a newbie at this. I started about 18 months ago, and had a pretty good dry spell over the summer last year. I'm at 24 recovered and photographed this year, plus another four sure hits, but not recovered. I also got permission to hunt a few other properties, so that helps. I've actually killed 42 on my ranch during these 18 months to include snaring and daylight hunting.

I have learned a lot: 1. Paying attention to wind is the most important thing. 2. All black, as well as desert camo makes you stick out like a sore thumb. 3. Always have spare batteries for everything...and 4. Never pass up a chance to use the bathroom before you head out.

Hoping that by next year I'll have really buckled down on my shooting skills with a thermal, as it is a definite learning experience. At one point in my life I was actually a petty decent shot, but then I started shooting at glowing pigs on a screen.

Maybe I'll learn to make videos that don't suck too.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
#4 is some of the best hunting advice I've ever read, and couldn't agree more. Only thing worse than hanging it over a log is... NO log. LOL

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congratulations! To me, it’s a lot of fun. I just can’t get out like I used to, especially at night in the mud. Don’t bounce like I used to. Hang in there and I’ll keep enjoying your videos. Ya done good!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I really do not understand the "all black" thing . . but certinly do the rest. ESPECIALLY the wind thing.
Congratz sir on the 50 hogs. --- pruhdlr

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Congratulations! I’m one short of that 50 milestone, but I’m a lot older, slower, and less motivated than I used to be. Those are definitely good points to keep in mind for success. One other suggestion would be to try to be in the same place where the pigs want to be at the same time. Good luck hunting and keep those substandard videos coming.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I really do not understand the "all black" thing . . but certinly do the rest. ESPECIALLY the wind thing.
Congratz sir on the 50 hogs. --- pruhdlr
TLM did a video a number of years ago. He filmed himself walking in front of the camera (at night) in black and in camo. He decided that he actually stood out more (in the dark) to animals if dressed in black (compared to being in camo). If what he showed on video is correct, it made sense to give it consideration.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the 50!

Good lessons.

Yep, all black isn't great. Solids are great, either. However, solids not at the extreme ends are better than solids that are.

There is a very good reason the military moved away from solid colors and it is because solids don't break up your outline nearly as well under most circumstances. Solid Black is simply too dark for most nights and situations.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Keep After 'Em!

Regarding all black, I noticed several years ago that my buddy, standing about 80 yards away across an open field wearing a black T-shirt stood out very distinctly with about a quarter moon. As Brian noted above, camo seems to be best, but a somewhat dark grey, or even (at night) red or blue is better than black.

I get my camo at the second-hand clothing store. It generally doesn't match but so far the hogs haven't laughed me out of the woods for wearing it.
As diggler noted in his original post, desert camo is too light colored. I got some (at aforementioned 2nd hand clothing store) but quickly relegated it to a role as work clothes during the day (things like mowing, working on tractor, brush clearing, etc.).

diggler1833

LSB Active Member
Keep After 'Em!

Regarding all black, I noticed several years ago that my buddy, standing about 80 yards away across an open field wearing a black T-shirt stood out very distinctly with about a quarter moon. As Brian noted above, camo seems to be best, but a somewhat dark grey, or even (at night) red or blue is better than black.

I get my camo at the second-hand clothing store. It generally doesn't match but so far the hogs haven't laughed me out of the woods for wearing it.
As diggler noted in his original post, desert camo is too light colored. I got some (at aforementioned 2nd hand clothing store) but quickly relegated it to a role as work clothes during the day (things like mowing, working on tractor, brush clearing, etc.).

Yep. Went out once in my old desert MARPAT cammies...glowed like a light stick.

I like olive drab and coyote the best. Having conducted night testing for my own knowledge I'll say that OD blends the quickest as you get further away.

I also have quite a few sets of woodland cammies, which I'll be using for years.

erForman

Greenwood, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good work on reaching the 50 threshold! I document my kills the same way you do. If I can't take a picture of it then I don't count it. I'm working on my first 100 and hoping to reach it this year. Right now I am at 90 documented kills. I know ten more doesn't sound like a lot to members here but seems like I'm only gonna get one at time and only successful on 1 out of 4 hunting trips. I found a program with Windows 10 called OneNote that allows you to type in a text description of the hunt and then add a photo and/or link to a video as well. I think it is pretty nifty and does just what I wanted. You can also get the app on your phone. It's great for showing off to the grand kids when they ask how grandpa is spending his time!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love One Note. You can create lists to use. Create it in the comfort of your home, as you think of things to go on it. You can have it auto-sync with your phone, now you have that list on your phone as well. Think of something while away from home, add it to the phone list and it'll sync and update your PC's list too. Camping lists, hunting lists, materials lists, shopping lists, project lists...