Feral Pig Recipes, Ham, Sausage, etc...

Chuck

I am pretty new to this site and to hunting. I have a Weber smokey mountain charcoal smoker and have cooked a lot of store bought pork. I would like to make my own sausage, cure and smoke my now ham from feral pigs. I would like to hear where you guys get recipes for these things if any of you do them. I would like to smoke my own sausage too. Any tips any of you have for choosing whether a pig is suitable for smoking for pulled pork or making a ham. Someone gave me a feral pig shoulder that I smoked once and it didn't really pull. Part of it did but most didn't. For making/smoking my own sausage I went to a processor for some ideas and he brought up adding nitrates for smoking sausage and a binder (soy protein). I have a friend who has a grinder he says I can use. Just wanting to get started on the right foot. This is all new to me.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Not an expert, but if you want to smoke sausage you'll need to add nitrites. Otherwise, the warm temps involved won't kill bacteria, but rather the warm, moist environment will cause it to grow.
On the occasions I've made sausage I haven't smoked it, but made it as 'fresh sausage' and frozen it right away.