Female Coyote Down

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

It was close to the end of the evening when I heard some coyotes calling in the distance. I was somewhat startled by a very loud reply that was coming from the ravine just below my stand. I found the coyote trotting through the ravine with my thermal spotter and transitioned to my rifle. I started rabbit distress squeal calling as I was powering up the Zeus rifle scope and recorder. By this time, the coyote had gotten up the far bank. The call stopped the coyote in place and held her attention. I tried calling several more times to get her to come closer, but she didn't move. Maybe she should have moved?

The shot was 92 yards. The exit wound is seen in the video. The 6.5 Grendel Hornady SST 123 gr. round ripped a huge, ragged hole out of her shoulder.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice anchoring shot B! She was hosed on impact.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very cool. I have a customer that has been losing a lot of expensive fancy sheep lately to coyotes--up to 3 a night at times. Gives us a reason to be more aggressive with eliminating some. Good job !

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good shooting Brian!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks!

I got a chance to check the coyote carcass this morning. I could not find the bullet entry last night. The bullet entered on the left side just forward of shoulder blade in the neck. So which it might not be completely obvious, the coyote was actually standing with the hind end toward me and her head turned back to face me.