Coyote Double

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Was out at a friends place a couple of weeks back when the coyotes started howling and his dogs were going crazy. He explained how the coyotes would entice his dogs to chase then the whole pack would jump the dog and try to kill it. So I took the Six8 out with the thermal and gave the yotes a little surprise!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rock them 'yotes.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
SWEET..great shooting!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
dang nice lead on that second one!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's a great video to use to show lead on a 100 + yards coyote running perpendicular to the shooter. A lot of clients have asked me what lead to use and its so dynamic and depends so heavily on the situation I fail to explain it correctly.

Great shooting TLM!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Outstanding shooting on a running target. That was a lot more lead than I would have expected on a running yote.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Outstanding shooting on a running target. That was a lot more lead than I would have expected on a running yote.

Well it was 120 yards so more lead is needed!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a great video to use to show lead on a 100 + yards coyote running perpendicular to the shooter. A lot of clients have asked me what lead to use and its so dynamic and depends so heavily on the situation I fail to explain it correctly.

Great shooting TLM!
I've learned a lot from watching lawmans videos on leading game depending on the angle, distance and speed they're running. Now I try to guess when he's gonna pull the trigger when watching new vids. But I still wouldn't have though to lead that much in that split second even though he was running perpendicular full speed at a farther than normal distance

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent video. The lead was more than I would have thought. Great learning. Thanks for what you do to help us.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Trying to make a "lead chart" ... here is a start ... the tough variable to call while making the shot might be the estimated speed of the creature ... especially if creature is a coyote as they seem to be able to move up to 40 mph on their best day with all laundry aloft ...

distance (est.) speed of target (est.) angle mv (fps) v@target lead in inches body length lead in body lengths
100yds 10 mph 90 2650 2340 21.1 36 0.59
200yds 10 mph 90 2650 2051 45.2 36 1.26
100yds 20 mph 90 2650 2340 42.2 36 1.17
200yds 20 mph 90 2650 2051 90.4 36 2.51
100yds 30 mph 90 2650 2340 63.4 36 1.76
200yds 30 mph 90 2650 2051 135.6 36 3.77

100yds 40 mph 90 2650 2340 84.5 36 2.35
200yds 40 mph 90 2650 2051 181 36 5.03

So if this chart is valid, then the coyote with the 3.5 body length lead (my est.) might have been moving at about 25 mph.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
with an optic you have different rules than with a thermal due to lag time

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You will have to ask Brian Shaffer

he knows all the big words and stuff.

(not just that the actually uses this stuff)

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
with an optic you have different rules than with a thermal due to lag time

I have not noticed this I lead the same with both. If there is any it is negligible.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It's pretty much instinct. TLM came out of the womb with a 22 LR and a pallet of ammo. He went through that in the first six months of life while he cleared dallas county of every cotton tail. At age one he already had his dead critter counter over 2000.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
@TLM, how do you decide how fast the coyotes/hogs are traveling ... or is it just "instinct" ?

Wish I could give you an exact chart but mostly it is just proper technique + instinct + a dash of luck. It helps to know your cartridge velocity and target range. I will really work on making a how to lead moving targets video I. The next week or so. Using the proper techniques will help the most.

My mom's cousin was a B17 pilot in WWII, in his chest there was a gunners training manual it explained lead and training techniques in detail. I used to read it over and over as a kid so I understood the concept very young.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am telling you it is a Gift and tons of experience.