Boar (hog) hunting with dogs, Brazilian style!

Andre Lopes

Boar Hunter from Southern Brazil
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hello my friends!
I know I owe some stories of hunting for you, but I've been really busy with my work tasks, so I will bring for you a story of a hunt that happened a year and a half ago.
Normally I do not hunt with dogs, I prefer to hunt alone in blinds but it was a different experience.
I apologize to everyone for not often write correctly in english, but I'm trying to improve.
Well, on that occasion I was invited by some friends to accompany a hunt with dogs. It was a good opportunity to follow two packs of dogs trained to hunt hogs and to share that experience with you all.
I left early, at 4:30 am, along with my friend Cassiano and his pack of 10 dogs, and we travel about 140 km to the property of a farmer who was having problems with the hogs. There we met with 6 other hunters and a pack of ten dogs. A lot of dogs was necessary, since we were hunting in an area of approximately 500 hectares of maize. A part of the planting had already been taken but there were still many corn stalks.

Overview of the region where there was the hunt

Hunter's meeting, planning the hunt

At 07:00 pm my friend Cassiano and I were already positioned and let out the dogs. Combine the other pack would be released from the other side of corn and other hunting would at strategic locations along the crop. I was using my HK semi-auto 12 gauge and my friend took a Smith Wesson revolver cal. 44 Magnum. Not yet 15 minutes had passed when the dogs found the first hogs.
There were five hogs that ran in all directions. The dogs caught a large hog and my friend Cassiano used his knife to take him down. I dropped another hog with my HK. The other hogs fled.

In this photo my friend Cassiano appear to the right, and two other hunters to the left.

On the other side of the plantation, the other hunters and their dogs also toppled two hogs.

At 11:00 am, I dropped another hog that was hidden in a bush near the cornfield. My friend and their dogs also knocked another one!
Afterwards, we eat a delicious barbecue and rest of the afternoon. Our final bill appears in this photo:

Whole class of hunters slept on the farm and the next day very early we went to another farm to try to overthrow more hogs.
The next day the weather was not great but it was better that way because we would not be tired at home.
In this day we do not cut down many hogs but we still found eight hogs and dogs caught everyone off.
This hog I put down with my HK 12 gauge

More photos in the next post ...

Andre Lopes

SUS VENATOR CLUB
Continuing the photos ...

This hog was overthrown by another hunter

And this was the result of the last day of hunting

For now it is my friends!

And as we say here (parodying a song from the band AC/DC)

"For Those About to Hog We Salute You!"

Thank you!

Andre

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That looked like an awesome hunt. I enjoy reading your stories as well as several others on here so keep them coming. There is an art to turning life into an interesting article and I for one have a very hard time putting my thoughts and experiences into written words that follow an interesting path.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is great Andre, besides you type in English better than some of us do! Thanks for the story and pics! were some of those dogs a DOGO?(is that their breed?)

Andre Lopes

SUS VENATOR CLUB
That looked like an awesome hunt. I enjoy reading your stories as well as several others on here so keep them coming. There is an art to turning life into an interesting article and I for one have a very hard time putting my thoughts and experiences into written words that follow an interesting path.
Thank you my friend!
I'm not a good writer like my great friend Brian, but I like to share with my friends from southern top of the world, my hunting experiences in southern bottom of the world!

Andre Lopes

SUS VENATOR CLUB
That is great Andre, besides you type in English better than some of us do! Thanks for the story and pics! were some of those dogs a DOGO?(is that their breed?)
Thank you my friend!
Yes, some dogs are breed Dogo Argentino (Argentinian Dogo). Others are mixed with greyhounds with Dogo and others would be a breed like the American coon dog!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Andre we have another friend who owns a Dogo here in the US on another forum, great dogs. I used to raise greyhounds myself for hunting coyotes and jack rabbits, never seen them bred for hog dogs. I am guessing the Dogo is the catch dog, what we use a pit bull for.

Very interesting seeing hog hunting in different places. Thank you!

Andre Lopes

SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sus Venator? is that what it says on the bumper sticker. I need one of those.
The story about the Sus Venator is interesting. In the time that Rome ruled the world, some Roman legions had the boar as a symbol. So was the Legion XX Valeria Victrix, I Italica and X Fretensis.
How to hunt wild boar was a symbol of courage, eventually some legionaries hunted boar to improve your diet and when they returned with the dead boars were greeted with the words "Ave Sus Venator!". I have very few of these stickers but I can provide some for you. I'll take and apply to my friend Brian who post a photo of your AR15 with Sus Venator Sticker!

A.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thank you for the above Andre. Add me to the list that appreciate your stories and pictures. I truly enjoy learning about other ways of hunting hogs. I love to learn. I will NEVER stop. --- pruhdlr

Andre Lopes

SUS VENATOR CLUB
Andre we have another friend who owns a Dogo here in the US on another forum, great dogs. I used to raise greyhounds myself for hunting coyotes and jack rabbits, never seen them bred for hog dogs. I am guessing the Dogo is the catch dog, what we use a pit bull for.

Very interesting seeing hog hunting in different places. Thank you!
Yes my friend, the Dogo is the catch dog.
I'll post another photo of some hunting dogs for you!

Greyhounds with Dogo mixed

Various breeds

The Ghost and the Darkness, the terrors of the wild boar!

Just to clarify ... these dogs belong to some friends who are hunters and dog breeders.

Thanks!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Andre, you are the man, a true Sus Venator

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice story Andre thank you for taking the time to write it. Your English and story telling well exceed mine!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Where is Dave, he is the one w a Dogo and is here on this forum, I forgot and was copying the dog pics for him...LOL

HeadHunter

North Carolina
You express your self well in English! For someone who is new to hog hunting, I am envious of your hunting prowess. Looks like beautiful landscape in Brazil. Thanks for the great photos.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can it get any better? Gorgeous countryside, a group of friends, some GOOD dogs, and hog blood flowing everywhere? We've got Zest !!! Love the tales and pix, thank you.