Black Dog in TN.(Lewisburg)

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used to know a guy who made the mistake of picking up a bobcat he'd just shot without verifying it was dead yet. Unfortunately for him, he didn't immediately let go of his now zombie cat. When I met him, his entire front torso was covered in what looked like 1/2" to 2" long cuts from a razor blade. This cat just sliced him up like a cheese grater.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's one time it's ok to poke your mad kitty in the eye with a stick. Other times it's not really recommended.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used to know a guy who made the mistake of picking up a bobcat he'd just shot without verifying it was dead yet. Unfortunately for him, he didn't immediately let go of his now zombie cat. When I met him, his entire front torso was covered in what looked like 1/2" to 2" long cuts from a razor blade. This cat just sliced him up like a cheese grater.
Have an uncle who once assumed his trophy squirrel was dead and pocketed it in his overalls... when Mr. Squirrel came to, I don't know who wanted the squirrel out of the pocket more... the squirrel, or my uncle. He'd just demonstrated to a cousin of mine HOW you "bark a squirrel". You take careful aim with your .30-06 and impact the bark of the tree next to the squirrel's head... properly done, killing the squirrel w/o damaging your stew meat.

Tale related to me by my cousin, denied by my uncle. Believe who you wish... I'm buying my cousin's rendition. LOL I'm told the dance was quite entertaining.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've always said that if squirrels got to be 40 lbs, no one would be safe.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've always said that if squirrels got to be 40 lbs, no one would be safe.
Agreed, mean little bastages !!! Cannibals, carrion eaters, fight things many times their size. Add to it the threat of rabies?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ya put'cher left stump in, ya take yer left stump out...

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
...never tried them on the Pit, but have made up some pretty darn good stew with them.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I over cooked them, they were pretty tough. Skirrel jerky. lol

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's why I have only stewed them. I thought it would be too hard to get them tender on a pit.

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I over cooked them, they were pretty tough. Skirrel jerky. lol

i wonder if ya could either marinate them or brine them like a yard bird before you put them on the smoker? Neighbors have been feeding those " so cute" squirrels with some high dollar corn in the yard next door. I have been watching them grow and they are getting pretty good sized here lately. Might pop a couple with the "quieted down" .17 and smoke them over some Pecan to see how they turn out.

On another note....
Just got off the phone with my friend up there in Lewisburg,TN and his neighbor popped another one of those black 'yotes. Waiting on a computer for my older than Moses Dodge with the Cummins and I am headed up there.
Sit on the back deck and see what we can call up sounds like some fun since they according to him don't have that many hogs up there yet.
I told him that if you are seeing a few....just wait a few months!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah tree rats are tough, crock pot, slow cooking, I have never grilled them.

Good luck on the dogs, another black one is good, hope he is tanning the hides

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Getting another black dog would be pretty neat.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My Dad said as a kid in OK they ate SQ stew with dumplings. He also,said if they had been pine trees they tasted like pine. Killed many SQ never thought about eating. This time of year here in NC the rabbits are pretty big might have to harvest a couple.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rabbit is better than squirrel for sure. Eaten a lot of both. Brown your rabbit in a skillet with butter then put in pan covered with cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken if you don't care for mushrooms and bake. Make some rice and waalaa!
The reason I ate so many squirrels was because I had a love affair with my 22, and I would run home from school and run a mile up to the woods and kill my 5 squirrels a day when I went. Mom always made me eat them except she wouldn't touch the things. I shot pheasants/rabbits everything with my model 60 Marlin. I took it upon myself to rid the world of chipmunks too just because they were good targets.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Still need to shoot my new Marlin Model 60 (50th Anniversary edition). Snagged it up the same day as my Marlin Guide Gun (my BD presents to myself a couple of years ago). Hmmm... haven't shot the Guide Gun yet either, come to think of it.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Having a gun without shooting it is like having a ..........fill in the blank. I don't know but something fits in there.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Speaking of chipmunks here is a prime example.
f72ba584d03db3012b202efd315b3cf8_zps93835878.jpg

Shoot it with my TS 22lr upper.