Black Dog in TN.(Lewisburg)

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
....just got off the phone with a close friend of mine that I used to fly with back in the mid '70's when we were chasing subs for the Navy. Both of us were attached to a Helo Squadron out of Jacksonville Florida and have kept in touch over the years.
Talk got around to hog hunting and he tells me that they are few and far between up there, but, there are Coyotes thicker than heck. He tells me that they come up in his yard all the time along with the cats.
I say "WHAT?"!!!
He just shoots me this pic of a black...well, I guess a hybrid Coyote that was shot by his neighbor just behind his place within the last month or so. After I saw the pic I tell him I want one and he says "Bring it!"

Looks like the M&P10 with the Eliminator3 are making a roadtrip....

TN_Black_Coyote.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We have a couple black yotes on the lease, no crossbreeding that I could tell, I love taking them out!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If it's the same with 'yotes as it is with wolves... a black one is a trait showing domestic dog genes surfacing. Rover's in that wood pile somewhere.

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He already called me back asking when I am headed up there. He's had several Coyotes right up to his back porch in the last few weeks and says they are pretty darn thick up there. According to what he tells me they don't call them up where he lives..just shoot what shows up.
Might have to get one of those fancy thermals before I head up there me thinks. Might be able to get by with the Eliminator and a red light for night shooting...maybe.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
and a caller if you really want to see them

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
....FrankT, I am able to call them up right here in the middle of town here in Dickinson with a little hand held that does the "wounded Rabbit" that has to be over 30yrs old. Saw it at a garage sale back when I worked for GTE in the 80's.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That will do it! I have a hand held caller and a small foxpro, a decoy make a difference too...I think a good mouth call would work just as well.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is little in the way of purebred coyotes. Most have hybridized with wolves and/or domestic dogs. Depending on where you read, this melanistic mutation may be from crossbreed in with domestic dogs and/or may occur naturally. I not sure anyone truly knows.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was recently looking at pictures of different color coyotes. There are quite a few black ones that seem to have a white patch on their chest, but there are red ones and white ones, some that look like a husky, green eyes, blue eyes, etc... I would love to have a black one's hide for the couch. Very cool.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well we don't have wolves but there have been dogs here for 200 years as well as yote so that is possibly, or maybe a lonely farmer?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
There are several black yotes where I hunt in MS. We have trail cam pics of them and I saw one last deer season but couldn't get a shot. I've been too lazy to go back and try to target them specifically. I've been practicing with a mouth call that I picked up at the world hog and varmint expo last year and want to try that. Finding a place to practice is the problem though, the wife wanted to kick me out of the house and the dogs looked at me like I was a jerk. I think they hate me. Don't want to practice outside just in case I accidentally do it right, don't want them up in the yard eyeing the wife's little dog. I tried practicing while on the long drive to work, but I would get winded trying to do barks and howl together and get dizzy. Not a good thing while driving 75 mph. Maybe I'll just ask Santa for a foxpro.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
chopper...foxpro is your friend!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use a rabbit distress call I've had for well over 20 years. My nephew and his friend wanted to go and see how it worked, so I took them and set them on a ridge about 60 yds apart with their 22's. This is in Colorado. I had a 22 mag is all, I got back a ways and down the ridge and started calling. We had 7 coyotes come running in full speed across the valley and right to those boys (they were maybe 12 yrs old), the coyotes were barking and fighting with each other on the way. I was waiting for them to shoot, they were very close to them. No shots, finally as a couple were headed back across the valley I took a couple long shots just to shoot. I went to find those guys and they were sitting next to each other scared to death, neither could shoot they froze up and thought they were going to die. Neither would ever go with me again. Pretty funny!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is funny!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is hilarious! Thats one of those stories that'll come out at get togethers the rest of their lives...

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good tale for their future GFs to hear at the dinner table. LOL

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That reminds me of a story a guy that worked for me told. When he was in high school, he got into varmint hunting around Childress, TX. A couple of his buddies kept pestering him about going with him, so he relented and brought them along one night. They set up in a very small thicket of cedars and started to call. Pretty soon a bobcat thought he had an easy meal and jumped over the small cedar and landed in the middle of the three kids. Needless to say the two friends never went with him again.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The saga of some ***** tearin' up three lads. Who'da thunk it? I'll bet that was a sight to behold. LOL

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
One of those "significant emotional events" that come along in life.