Big Male Coyote at TBR

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know, I am trying to be a part of the whole hog competition, but all I am seeing are deer and predators. Fortunately at TBR, predators are to be removed.

It was an awfully blustery night for the first few hours, but after the winds calmed down, the animals started appearing from the tree line, mostly deer and then a few more deer and then an armadillo or two.

This coyote finally came out and I got on the rifle as soon as possible and gave out a few rabbit squeals and he happily turned and headed for me, bounding along the way. I wanted him to stop and tried giving him another squeal or two to do that, but that only excited him more. I stopped squealing and he went right by the stand.

I waited for him to head back out and when I spotted him again, gave him a couple of squeals that stopped him this time. He was taken at 114 yards. I did not weigh him, but he was a hefty sucker. Of the few I have killed, he is probably the heaviest.

Sorry rgilbert, but I changed recorders and forget to turn on the microphone for my signature 'chinnggg' noise. So I just added in the words at the time of the shot for you.

I stayed a couple of hours after taking the coyote, but still no hogs showed.

The Armasight Zeus continues to perform very well. I really like it.

The 123 gr. Hornady SST entered behind the left shoulder and exited behind the right shoulder with about a quarter-sized hole. Along the way, the bullet caught a major blood vessel(s?) and one or both lungs.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well done !! He just ran right by you, funny he would come back out, what are you doing for scent control?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Frank!

When I first saw this guy, he was moving pretty good like he was there at the end, as if he had some place to be somewhere off to the left, there. I squealed to slow him down while I turned on the scope and recorder and as you saw, once things were running, he was running at me as well. He came right by me, down wind, and sort of made a great big loop (seen mostly through side window) and got back on his original direction of travel. At the time, things were pretty calm with maybe 5 mph winds. As for scent control, I use elevation and try to play the wind, though I had no choice in this case about the wind.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well that 6.5 sure put him down..good shooting and an effective rd to end his fawn eating days! I respect you guys who take targets of opportunity instead of saying if I shoot it will mess up my hog hunt! I always shoot the first target then worry about the rest after.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hit Brian! Nice clarity showing him bleeding out too.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
NO Cha CHing needed. I love the coyote spin dance!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What a dog dance! Great shooting