Big Bugs In Texas ...I.D.??

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I watched a nat geo with a wasp in the desert that would burrow. This particular species would attack a desert spider and sting it. It's venom would paralyze the spider but not kill it and then the was would lay it's eggs in the spider and take it down to its burrowed out home where her larvae would feed on the spider until they grow into wasps. Anyone know if these guys just eat the locusts or do they lay their eggs in em also
Exactly. They drag up to 10 of them in a burrow. Lay there eggs in them. Male eggs in one and female eggs in another. They come out next year and over and over it goes. So they don't eat cicadas and only the females kill them. Pretty cool. Kinda weird.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have several houses that I mow where they are located. One probably has literally hundreds of them, they will fly along beside me on the mower, but have never acted aggressively. I thought I saw a Nat Geo, and they were a Japanese Hornet, and they showed them literally destroying bee hives single handidly. Probably another variety instead, but they looked very similar.

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A friend of mine in League City has a whole herd of those things in his yard. In only one location there are seven burrows they made right between his sidewalk and the garage. Last month i was there to give him some hot peppers and saw one drag a cicada down into the burrow.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All we did in East TX was tie a string to a June bug and let it fly round and round. Was a lot of fun. When done feed them to our turtle which love to eat them.