Bearded Hen

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got my first Illinois turkey yesterday and it ended up being a hen with a 7 inch beard and colorful feathers instead of the jake I was expecting. Gender confusion even among the wildlife now? Yikes. LOL.HilltopTurk3.JPG

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I’ve always wondered about that? I’d like to assume you figured it out while dressing the animal? Or was there something that gave it away immediately when you examine the bird?

I’m not really sure I would know what a bird sex organs actually look like from the outside?

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Head was bright blue, feathers were iridescent and highly colorful. Up close there were no spurs, legs were shorter than a male would have had, feather tips were brown (female) instead of black (male) and the tail fan was shaped different from a tom's. Even after we took it in for cleaning we weren't certain until we looked inside and saw there were eggs forming, no testicals. Hen was at least three years old we think, so this large-ish mature hen at 30 yards away looked like a jake.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thank you.

I’m not a turkey hunter and would not have known all of those little details to look for.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
CONGRATS! That is a big accomplishment up there. A bird to be proud of!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cazz, that hen needs a trip to the taxidermist. What a great tale for the Turkey Day table. Congrats on such a unique prize!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looked like Jake, turned out to be Pat

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looked like Jake, turned out to be Pat
Jake? Are you claiming to look like Pat?

JuSw-Pat.jpg