Baffle Strike...now what?

TexasTrapper

LSB Member
C02B5821-7374-45D7-AE5F-1B48A2C7F997.jpeg What could of caused this? New upper? Ammo? It was threaded on tight just like always. Looks like I’m out of commission for awhile.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What ammo? Remington had some seriously non-concentric bullets a couple of years ago. Any unused which look odd?

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If handloads loaded to be subsonic, test without your can first to prove stable and not keyholing from the muzzle.
Barrel twist? Velocity?
-
Post crossed with yours.
Looks like RD is on it...

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Can you shine a light through the border and see any damage to baffles or is it just the endcap?

TexasTrapper

LSB Member
The last 2 baffles had a little damage to them. It is direct thread. I did have the crush washer on but I’ve always left it on with no problem. I had just swapped out the upper for one with a longer barrel but had to install shorter hand guard to allow the suppressor to fit.

The best I can do is try to see if Midway will swap out uppers to make sure it wasn’t related to that and send the suppressor off to YHM for repair.

They sell a tool at Midway to test these things to make sure it doesn’t happen again. I’m just ticked off it happened and I don’t know why.

Rookie

LSB Member
I'm going to bet it is the crush washer that's causing your problem. I would suggest asking YHM their opinion. I know they say not to use them with their quick connect, but I couldn't find anything about direct thread.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Never use a crush washer on a suppressor. Back of the suppressor should be in contact with the shoulder of the barrel and tight.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep high percentage it was crush washer, seen it happen many times.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Post no. 7 says it got the last 2 baffles and the end cap.

TexasTrapper

LSB Member
The good news is YHM can repair it. They want the upper as well to insure it doesn’t happen again.

2-3 week lead time is what they told me this morning.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The good news is YHM can repair it. They want the upper as well to insure it doesn’t happen again.

2-3 week lead time is what they told me this morning.
That’s really quicker than I would have expected. Glad they are going to get it fixed for you.

firemedic2000

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What's the update on your suppressor and what did yankeehill say after they repaired it. I ask because I have the Yankeehill TITANIUM direct thread for my M40A5. That's a great suppressor you have there btw

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What's the update on your suppressor and what did yankeehill say after they repaired it. I ask because I have the Yankeehill TITANIUM direct thread for my M40A5. That's a great suppressor you have there btw
He had the crush washer on there 99.99999% that's what caused it.