95gr TTSX and 120gr SST velocities from 12.5" 6.8

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Made it to the range today to do a little chrono work. I have been using the Barnes 95r TTSX for about 4 years and I have been thinking of switching to the Hornady 120r SST. What has kept me from changing over is the fact that I run 12.5” barrels and didn’t know how the velocities would be. I recently changed the barrel out to a 12.5” *** scout and my hand loads were dialed in for the old barrel. As always I was using my Saker 7.62 suppressor.

I shot 2 5rd strings of my each bullet. The Barnes 95gr TTSX are loaded in SSA brass with CCI 41 primers and 29 grains of AA2200. The Hornady 120gr SST’s are factory ammunition.

--------------- 95 TTSX ------- 120 SST
Average ------ 2697 ----------- 2374
Min ----------- 2679 ----------- 2341
Max ----------- 2727 ----------- 2394

The rifle is sighted in for the 95 TTSX and the 120 SST hit 1” right and 1/2” low. Also the Hornady SST grouped better at 1 MOA vs the Barnes TTSX at 1.5 MOA.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You are getting the same velocity that I get with 95 TTSX with 30 gr of H322 in 9.25" barrel. Have not measured the factory SSTs yet.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I can probably get more velocity but the loaded rounds I have were developed for the WOA barrel I took off. Once I shoot them up I'll load some for the new *** barrel.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good velocity from a 12.5. Kinda making me want to build one.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will have one for sell soon. I changed to the Mega Arms Megalithic and it takes a 13.5" barrel. So the current 12.5" I was shooting yesterday will be for sale as a complete upper. It has about 60 rounds done it and the gas port is drilled to .093" which should run fine unsuppressed. Just a little teaser!!! :p

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If it was mine it would be suppressed.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I run it suppressed. Just saying it should run unsuppressed as well. Takes more gas to run unsuppressed.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well if you had a piston rifle no problem just change the piston by moving it a 180 degrees

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I'm loading RL-10x worth the 120's for my 12.5", seems to like it better than other loads I tried, but never can tell from one rifle to the next.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
About the same I'm getting, but I load RL10x, was more accurate out of my 12.5".