90gr gold dot bullets

deltav

LSB Member
Have taken more than a handful of hogs (all sizes) with the 90gr Gold Dot. Chrono'd at 2818 from my *** 16" 6.8 and has been very effective and accurate. Also inexpensive and fairly easy to find. In my experience, they have been similar to the SSA tac 85 tsx lethality wise but I still prefer the Barnes bullets. My favorite has been the 95 ttsx. It seems to drop more hogs in their tracks.....even on shoulder shots.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No one has them in stock now but I got a bunch before. I use them in my 8.5" 6.8 pistol.

deltav

LSB Member
Patiently waiting for the 95's to become available again. Stocked up on the Gold Dots recently...they will get the job done until then.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tried the Hornady 120SST? they are the favorite of some here.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Is anyone still using a2200 and 90gr speer gold dots?
I just did a test with these bullets using WC844, CCI 450 with Federal cases. I reached 2602 fps with 32.1 grains out a an Arperformance 16 inch 3R barrel.

WVSPARTAN1

I just did a test with these bullets using WC844, CCI 450 with Federal cases. I reached 2602 fps with 32.1 grains out a an Arperformance 16 inch 3R barrel.
Nice, I'm using 30.5gr of a2200, hornady brass, cci41, c.o.a.l of 2.265...2950fps average. 1/2 moa at 100yds. But I've never killed anything with it..I'm setting this rifle up for my 10yo daughter to deer hunt with...just wondering how they kill?

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
They do alright. I'd been using a similar load in a A R performance 5R 16in awhile back that I killed plenty of pigs with. I was just playing them again to see what kinda speed I could get out of the 3R barrel with WC844. I normally use the 115gr bullets. I'm shooting them pretty slow, down around 2400fps but they are accurate and kill pigs.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've got a pound of a2200 and loaded up a test batch of the 115 bullets. Might as well load up a test batch of the 90gr bullets too.

WVSPARTAN1

I've got a pound of a2200 and loaded up a test batch of the 115 bullets. Might as well load up a test batch of the 90gr bullets too.
Were gonna be hunting in northern west virginia , so I'm trying to get her a bullet that will drop around a 180lb. White tail..i have a couple loads worked up..90gr gold dot, 110gr vmax, 115gr gold dot, and 100gr accubonds..the only thing I've killed with a 6.8 is turkey and yotes with 110 vmax..I usually deer hunt with 223 or 270. Depending where I hunt.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The VMAX will just blow-up on a deer. Probably run off, I wouldn't even attempt to shoot a deer with them.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Anyone buy the 90gr Speer bulk packed(500) that Midway had for sale? I was able to get 2,000 of them but have yet to try them out.