.458 Socom Suppressed Hog kills and Ballistic gel test

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Silencer Shop and Bowers suppressors teamed up and sent me a couple of .458 socom, and 50 Beowulf uppers along with the Bowers Vers 458 and Vers 50 suppressors to test. This is the initial test and hunt with the .458 using super and subsonic ammo.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Saw this on your youtube page. Nice video and great info. Since the 500gn does not expand would it not be better to take a more traditional shot, IE vitals rather than neck? Most of the diameters of expanded bullets are not much bigger than the 458 starts out as. There is little or no hydrostatic shock with subs so there is that. I just wonder what would happen. Also there are several newer projectiles out there that are designed to expand at subsonic velocities. I still agree subsonic does little or nothing to prevent game from running off. But I do like the staple gun like crack, at least out of the blackout. Have not shot any subs out of my 458 yet.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm a firm believer in using supersonic ammo for hunting. It's gives better ballistics, better knock down power, and is much more humane. Just as Lawman said.

However, if I had to use sub sonic ammo for some reason I would not take a neck shot. Just as Bldsmith said above, there isn't much hydrostatic shock wih sub ammo and there is only a small chance it will interrupt the central nervous system. Hunting with subs is like hunting with a bow. You have to hit vitals and let them bleed out. However, with subs you have the option of a head shot (a small and always moving target) compared to a bow.

Good video TLM. I hope it helps explain why subs are not nearly as effective compared to supers. I know you put in a lot of work to make this. Its very appreciated.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad to see your video test on the gel and hogs using subs with the 458 Socom.
I have not used any subs in my Tromix 458S, and have always loaded the 325 Hornady FTX.
Haven't carried this rig for hogs yet... I do have the Bowers 458 can bought through Silencer Shop.
6.8, 270AR, and 458S all good choices for the hogs.

Dennis

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, Supers are far superior for hunting. That is primarily why I have not worked up any loads. I was also glad to see the result of them 325's. Have a bunch loaded up and ready to go. Now just need to find some hogs.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The other two hogs hit with the 500gr were low center shoulder hits (vitals) both of those ran off also. Did they die? Probably but I can not confirm that. I think with subs the ear shot is your best bet.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The other two hogs hit with the 500gr were low center shoulder hits (vitals) both of those ran off also. Did they die? Probably but I can not confirm that. I think with subs the ear shot is your best bet.

If you hit heart and lungs with a .458 diameter bullet they are dead somewhere. Hogs seal up quick, but they can't seal up a nearly 1/2" hole in their heart and/or lungs. Now will it be easy to find them? Probably not.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice... love the gel testing addition. Those super loads flat get it done!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Stout rifle! Great vid like always.. happy hunting!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great video Todd! Thanks for all of the hard work.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, I received my shooting magazine today and LWRC has the new DI out. Do you have access to that one yet? waiting to see a hog shoot with that one? Did not say much in the article other than as far as an direct impingement rifle this one was the one to have?? BANG BANG!!

The article was in Rifleman mag

dman62

LSB Member
I'd use a flat nose bullet if I was committed to subs and use the shoulder shot. But with the ftx super sonic performance, why bother? Great video!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, I received my shooting magazine today and LWRC has the new DI out. Do you have access to that one yet? waiting to see a hog shoot with that one? Did not say much in the article other than as far as an direct impingement rifle this one was the one to have?? BANG BANG!!

The article was in Rifleman mag

Yes they had to make one for a military contract so made it available to the public. I may get one eventually but I'll be sticking with the pistons.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes they had to make one for a military contract so made it available to the public. I may get one eventually but I'll be sticking with the pistons.
Got to,love a piston gun. Easy to clean except suppressed all bets are off then. Great video.