.308 suppressor on multiple calibers?

LONESTARBOAR

Grand Poobah
My main hunting rifle for the last two years is a colt M4 with a bison armory recon 6.8 upper. Instead of buying a dedicated 6.8 SPC suppressor I ordered a .308 can. The reasoning behind this was to use the suppressor on all my rifles from my long range bolt .308 to my 5.56 M4 and only have to go through the NFA process once.

Even though the diameter on the .308 suppressor is larger the length and volume are also making it quite effective on all my calibers .308 and down. The difference between the .308 can and a dedicated 5.56/.223 can on a 5.56. is negligible to my ears while out hunting.

I have to say I love my suppressor it has made hunting and shooting 110% more enjoyable. If you ever get the chance to hunt with friends and everyone is suppressed, you will never want to hunt unsuppressed again. In fact I have ordered a second can just so I can loan one out when hog hunting.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I'm doing the same, I use my Wilson Combat Whisper suppressor, which is a .30 cal can, on my .308, 7.62x40WT (.308 bullets), 6.8 and others...

haven't tried it on the .223 Wylde yet

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is what I plan to do also. I've seen/heard 30 Cal cans on .22 LR, 6.8, and 7.62x39. It is very effective on all of them.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The only advantage to using a 5.56 dedicated suppressor I can see is less size and weight. But then your stuck with .22 caliber and down.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that cans are legal here in WA State... I'm resisting the urge to get one... it'd definitely be a .30 cal one though. Since I can't hunt with one yet, I'm able to resist.

PJW

Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 7.62 cans are very versatile. Mine have worked well on .308, 6.8, and .223/5.56.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Now that cans are legal here in WA State... I'm resisting the urge to get one... it'd definitely be a .30 cal one though. Since I can't hunt with one yet, I'm able to resist.

that sucks that you can't hunt with one, even in our liberal state of NM we can hunt with one, which I plan to use in most hunting situations because it saves on the ears

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that sucks that you can't hunt with one, even in our liberal state of NM we can hunt with one, which I plan to use in most hunting situations because it saves on the ears

If I say this 100 times it still wont be enough. My suppressor was the best firearms purchase I ever made next to night vision. The only problem I've had from a suppressor is I like to shoot even more now!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

If I say this 100 times it still wont be enough. My suppressor was the best firearms purchase I ever made next to night vision. The only problem I've had from a suppressor is I like to shoot even more now!

Yup... at least they're legal to use now. Before last year... we could BUY one... but if we installed it onto the gun and pulled the trigger, "go to jail time". But, they were HAPPY to have the tax revenue from one. Progress is slow... but, I'll take it.

1956_4x4

Crestview, Florida
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just started the process to get an ACC 762-SDN-6. Everything I'm reading indicates this is going to be a long drawn out event.

Smitty

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome Smitty!! Night Vision and now a suppressor, you are going to be admired by all on our lease!!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just started the process to get an ACC 762-SDN-6. Everything I'm reading indicates this is going to be a long drawn out event.

Smitty
Yes it is and they sure aren't trying to streamline it either. You should be able to buy suppressors over the counter like ammo. It's considered impolite to shoot without them in Europe.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes it is and they sure aren't trying to streamline it either. You should be able to buy suppressors over the counter like ammo. It's considered impolite to shoot without them in Europe.
I thought it was impolite to patronize AAC ? LOL (Inside joke there Smitty) BTW... LOVE that '56 in your Avatar !

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Smitty is a cool guy, another lease member and a really nice guy w lots of skills and fun tools...

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love the 56 also!!! I recently acquired my dads 1950 Chevy truck. Lots of memories with it. Picked up the first Christmas tree I remember, got the sand for my first sandbox in it!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Smitty is a cool guy, another lease member and a really nice guy w lots of skills and fun tools...
I can tell from his rig, he's my kind of feller. All the rest is bonus.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a YHM Phantom in 30 cal fit all guns. I am very happy with it. Like anyone wish it did not have a POI shift but it is the nature of the beast.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a YHM Phantom in 30 cal fit all guns. I am very happy with it. Like anyone wish it did not have a POI shift but it is the nature of the beast.

I just never shoot without it anymore problem solved!!!!!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just never shoot without it anymore problem solved!!!!!
Yep but some times I do like to hear the Big Bang and we still can not hunt suppressed yet there is a bill to fix that in the assembly. We will see.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good luck on that! Its not like you cant hear the shot or tell a firearm has been fired. To many people believe what they see on the movies!