30 rounds later...

D

djones

pencilb_zps5wxhlsck.jpg

caught these out just before dark stampeding across the field. I pulled up along side and stuck the ar15 out the window and started dealing out the lead. didn’t take long for them to figure out there was no future in their current strategy and decided to cut back across the field. the rows were too deep for me to follow, so I turned around and circled to the other side. a few little ones were running down the rows right at me, but I wanted the big ones, and there was no time to waste.

the wind was wrong for a power slide, but I had no choice as they were already crossing ahead of me into the brush. as the vehicle skidded into position, a cloud of dirt engulfed me. nothing I could do but wait. when I finally caught glimpses of the stragglers, I finished off the magazine. 30 rounds with a LOT of hits and the 223 only had 6 hogs down. the 308 would have looked like it parted the red sea (although i don't think i could have held it out the window while driving).

I can’t count how many dropped, somersaulted and/or squealed, only to never be seen again. I think lawdawg may be on to something, and I’m going to invest in a good mechanical pencil, which should be about 100 times more powerful that a 223. anyway, thermal is back and i hope to get it into action soon.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shooting runners is always fun. Nice work

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great write up. Good dead hogs!!!! Hope you had hear plugs on. Could not imagine how loud an AR15 would be in a truck cab space...

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job, looks like a 6.8 may be in your future!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice tally there, nothing to apologize for. Congrats on a fine outing. And, yeah... I'd also suggest a 6.8 upper from Blackstone. Eric will get'cha squared away.

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job man!

D

djones

if i had it all to do over again i'd probably go with a 6.something, but the thermal is back now so the 308 is back in business... well sort of, but that's another story.

i usually wear ear plugs but the ar15 has a can so it's not too bad if i have to make an exception

went back to the kill zone to scout and found this guy over 500 yards from where the shooting took place. he didn't have much respect for that 223 round in the shoulder... well not until he died.

next%20day_zpsiobga9lb.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He won't be long before popping. The TBPS is slacking on their chores.

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow, I'll bet that was fun. Jealous! Nice job.