3 little pigs..Er - 2 little pigs and a Boar

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am hunting a new place with hog damage that reminds me of Todds drone video footage of Ag field destruction. Not quite the same volume of destruction, but they have been real busy rooting up several fields.
-
My first night out (1/23) I only saw 5 pigs, and they managed to stay close to the land owners cattle while moving from the creek, crossing the coastal field, and back into cover - no safe shot available, and none taken.
-
Back out again last night (1/26). I set up in an old deer blind overlooking one of the Ag fields with recent rooting damage, but only saw a possum and 6 coons move through - no pigs. Decided to go check the coastal field adjacent to the creek for activity, and again - no pigs...crap.
Thought this was another blown night, so I headed back to where I parked my truck, and things got interesting.
Looking up the trail with the PVS-14, I saw what looked like a hog - Finally some action!
The one hog turned out to be the first of a sounder of about 40-50 pigs. So I move away from the trail for a better angle, waiting for the hogs to clear a house in the background, and give me a safe shot.
Well now, not only am I watching the hogs - but now have a Skunk coming on a collision course with me - really not good - so another detour for me to avoid pissing off the skunk and getting sprayed. My action was successful and didn't get skunked, even with passing at about 10-12 feet..
-
Now I am finally able to stalk toward the hogs but they are starting to spread out in the mesquite.. set up the tripod and got the Zeus settled on one of the larger hogs - trigger squeeze and a dead hog...dropped straight down. Swing for another target, but the bigger hogs already have disappeared in the mequite, found a couple of confused piggie footballs so now they are targets... The two little pigs didn't handle the 120SST's very well. Pop went the piglets.
3 down, two piglets and one boar. Tape on the boar shows 42 1/2 inches, about 200lbs I think... short of qualifying for Sus Venator.
2016.01.26%20018.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Equipment used:
-- ARPerformance built 6.8 18" *** barrel on Mega monolithic upper, with Adams Arms piston, Geissele DMR trigger.
-- Silencer Shop: Saker 7.62 suppressor.
-- Night Combat Solutions - Aaron:
Armasight Zeus Pro 640, 100mm thermal
Pulsar HD38A thermal monocular
PVS-14 ITT Pinnacle on Team Wendy LTP.
-- Ammo: 6.8 Hornady 120SST, 27.2 grns AA2200, CCI450, 2.295" OAL.
-- Please work up your handloads --

Dennis

Last edited:

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"Pop went the piglets" Love it!!! Nice story. Sounds like fun and pork to boot!! BANG BANG!! Pictures? BANG BANG!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah... I'd say, "Pop, go the piglets"! Congrats on that trio... and for Peppy la Pew evasion 101 being a success.

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Indeed, he didn't have the guts to go on living. didnt have the stomach for the fight anymore.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good going now you know you have targets for other nights

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tripas for dinner!! Nice going!!

gshock