250 lb red hog turns black

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had seen 3 amigo or brother boars of about 120 lbs yesterday morning and because of recent shoulder injuries I can't move quite as fast as I am used to so no joy on this morning. I am hunting over a feeder with a new PSA PA-10 and PhotonXT 4.6 that has been on my 6.8 for several years. I love sitting there in the early morning hours and listening to the world wake up and having some quiet time with my Creator.

I have been seeing hogs show up early evening, so I went back about 5 pm and was reading a book on my phone when I looked up and saw a red hog coming in to the feeder pen. I got situated and touched off a round which promptly knocked the red hog on his ass in a water puddle wallowed out under the feeder. I texted my son that I had gotten a big red hog (most of what I see are from just born to about 150 lbs). I sat for a few minutes and he splashed a bit - he was quartering toward me when I shot, so I didn't get a good cns shot on him. When I went out to remove him from the pen he had turned black - washed off all the red clay that he was coated with. Measured 45" around the chest, so 250 or so. I couldn't drag him, and the ground was very wet out toward the feeder. Got all the rope I had (3 pieces) in the truck and was able to stay about 80 ' from the pen on relatively stable sandy sandy ground with the tractor to drag him out to the coyote staging area and didn't get stuck.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hog down !! Congrats on it.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very nice. How has the PA10 held up? How many rounds do you have through it? Any frequent malfunctions?

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice. How has the PA10 held up? How many rounds do you have through it? Any frequent malfunctions?
Just got it and don't have many rounds through it yet. Oiled it with Slip 2000 and worked the bcg a bunch, and no problems so far, my son bought one like it as well in FDE. How do you like the custom sunshade on the Photon? Gutter downspout coupling painted black. Sure helps with low angle sunlight.

D

djones

good lord! i don't blame you for wearing gloves with that big nasty. i noticed you didn't post this in the sus forum nor do you have a sus banner. i applaud you. those sus banners are overrated anyway. i mean who needs them? besides, they disappear without warning.

you almost ran out of real estate on the forearm :)

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
big old boy
and looks prehistoric !!
love that look

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Big Nasty! SUS!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a solid hog!! Congrats and happy hunting!

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yessir that is one Beast of a Sus Boar! Good job with the 308.
Congrats!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hog!

I am always a bit surprised to find big hogs that don't have big teeth. It seems to happen a lot. They just seem to grow much faster than their teeth in many cases.

Last edited:

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
… How do you like the custom sunshade on the Photon? Gutter downspout coupling painted black. Sure helps with low angle sunlight.
I was wondering what that was. Nice going on the hog!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice! Congrats. Post the pics in the Sus section for your banner!

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wife went back out with me this morning and I got another one - maybe 140 pounder this time. Then the cleanup crew arrived - buzzards & Mexican eagles.

Put pics and original post in SVC also.

Last edited:
D

djones

your name is funny. reminds me of jerry maguire 'shoplifting the pootie'

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
your name is funny. reminds me of jerry maguire 'shoplifting the pootie'
When my son was a teenager I called him "Punk" and for some reason I've never found out he started calling me "Pootie" when I asked why he just shrugs. So fast forward to grandchildren and my wife is Nana and I am Pootie. So....