.208 amax subsonic for hogs?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Why not shoot them with a .45 pistol then?? Hogs are extremely tough animals and I'd stick with supersonic in a 6.5G, 6.8 or .308

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have not heard of much success w the 300 in subsonic and hogs.

Just_me_mongo

Where's the piggiez?
My main hog rifle is 6.8spc, 1/10 twist. I run barnes 110gr tsx or lately the hornady 120 ssts... I also have a .300blk that I was thinking about trying too....

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think supers you would be good to go...not like the 6.8 but OK

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Not amax but similar 220 smk.

Ive killed a few with my blackout and subsonic ammo but quickly gave up in it and now only use supersonic from a larger cartridge.

I tried the 220 smk and 220 round nose bullets. Both will punch through medium size hogs at close range (50-100), but the one thing that I just couldn't get past is the hog doesn't even flinch when hit with those subsonic rounds. They just run off.

Did get good blood trails from the round nose bullet though.

Anyway, I watched that happen a few times and gave up.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Watch out .... some will poo-poo the 300BLK and have never owned one,shot one,or have ANY expierance hunting with one,and killing deer or hogs with one.

ANY bullet run subsonic out of ANY chambering is a bad choice(IMO)for hunting. While the bullet is or could be heavy for caliber,the sub speed(usually about 1050fps)will not generate very much hydrostatic shock. It will not set up a shock wave as it passes thru the animal. It is akin to sticking the animal with a ice pick.

There are much better choices to use for hunting in the 300BLK. Choices that will quite easily take a hog of most any size if: 1. it is of the proper construction 2. it is moving fast enough 3. it is put on the animal at the right place AND 4. the distance is not too great(bullet speed).

Hunt with that 300BLK,be confident that it WILL take a hog or deer. Do your research into bullets,distances,and hog/deer anatomy. It will kill adaquately. --- pruhdlr

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Has anyone shot a hog with a (300blk) 208 amax subsonic round? Any thoughts, advice, details?

Thanks!
I have and it took six well placed shots all pencil holed through but he eventually died. Fun for shooting targets that is about it. The blackout is a marginal step up from the 5.56 in my opinion and mine stays in the safe.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Watch out .... some will poo-poo the 300BLK and have never owned one,shot one,or have ANY expierance hunting with one,and killing deer or hogs with one.

ANY bullet run subsonic out of ANY chambering is a bad choice(IMO)for hunting. While the bullet is or could be heavy for caliber,the sub speed(usually about 1050fps)will not generate very much hydrostatic shock. It will not set up a shock wave as it passes thru the animal. It is akin to sticking the animal with a ice pick.

There are much better choices to use for hunting in the 300BLK. Choices that will quite easily take a hog of most any size if: 1. it is of the proper construction 2. it is moving fast enough 3. it is put on the animal at the right place AND 4. the distance is not too great(bullet speed).

Hunt with that 300BLK,be confident that it WILL take a hog or deer. Do your research into bullets,distances,and hog/deer anatomy. It will kill adaquately. --- pruhdlr

There are much better choices if its all you have then yes it will work just like the .223 or 5.56 but not optimal by far. And I have lots O experience with hogs shot with subs supers and even the barnes black tips.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What has been your expierance with a 300BLK with at least 16 inches of bbl ??

I am running the 110gr Barnes TAC-X (black tips) at just over 2400fps but have not got a chance to target a hog with this combo yet. These are from my new Ruger American Ranch Rifle 16.5" bolt gun. --- pruhdlr

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes running 16" barrel it only took me two hunts to retire it but I have hunted with many that still use it just not impressed after shooting the 6.8 and the .308. Again we are back to will it work yes are they better options yes.

Just_me_mongo

Where's the piggiez?
I have a .300 BLK SBR (9.5" - 1/8 twist). This is my second rifle. My first hog rifle is a 16" Oly Arms K16 - 1/10 twist, spec i chamber. It shoots anything I use in it real well. I have Hornady Factory 120gr SST's for the trip as well. I wana try this 300 BLK too. I am just excited to get back down to Texas. I will be there next month!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The blackout is on par with the 7.62x39 and will kill hogs. It just requires a little better shot placement. Just remember you can shoot them more than once :)

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
When I sighted in my 300BKL,I had to put the small orange dots on rice paper. I tried regular printer paper and the bullets simply bounced off.

Now ..... I only use my 300BLK for tree ratz. I noticed the other day that the 300BLK was allowed now to used in paintball matches with bullets <210grs.,even when fired super. --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Like the .40 is considered short and weak by some, others like it, same w the 300WTF, there are uses for it and when used that way it is a good alternative. Not my cup of tea and I don't need one but hey if you got the money you should own one of everything to have fun with.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I totally agree .... It's kinda like some people (actually) feel that the 6.8SPCII is a viable alternative to a (even) normally loaded 308Win.

My use for a 300BLK IS NOT to shoot hogs anywhere as they are running. It is used to take one,well placed shot,at the proper range,using the proper bullet,driven at the proper speed. Using,and sticking to these guidelines,we have found that the 300BLK works great from 16+ inches of bbl. Under 16 inches(SBR,pistol) it is adaquate to so-so,IMO.View attachment 2424

This is the hog that we got several nights ago. 300BLK ... 16.5" bbl bolt gun ... 125gr NosBalTip at 2240fps from 45-60yds. This hog stumbled upon impact,then staggered 20yds and fell dead. This hog was shot on the shoulder and the bullet made mush out of the top of the heart and most of both lungs. This was a boar hog the weighed 160lbs.View attachment 2424

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
^ +1. If you don't have a .30 carbine, the 300 wtf is an adequate substitute, and both will kill things within reason.