Zombie Pig Story

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have heard stories of zombie pigs, but never experienced it myself. Well that is not the case anymore as I had my first dealing with a zombie pig. Here is the story

It is Friday morning about 6am. I left my night stand and was just headed to my morning stand. I poked my head out of the tree line to see if anything was in the field before I headed to the blind. There was a big lone bore doing his thing. So I begin to stalk and get about 50 yards out put the crosshairs (my rifle sighted for 50) right behind his ear and snap the trigger. Boom, Flop and he hits the dirt right where he stands. I am thinking to myself bada#$ DRT, but one minute later he starts flopping around like just his hind legs are working. So I hit him again in the vitals (I think that is where the bullet went) and he stops flopping.

So I never walk up on a animal until at least 15 minutes after he is down. So I am standing there waiting for time to lapse and 5 minutes after the second shot this boar gets up and starts running for the woods like nothing happened. I see this and quickly get another shot off before he gets into the cover of the brush. I think that shot got him mid body. He gets into the cover of the brush and I hear a crash and some snorting then nothing. So I am thinking he is just a few yards into the brush bleeding out. I decided to give him a full hour then start tracking, so I head to the stand to wait it out.

One hour passes, time to get this pig. So I look where I first shot him and there is a good amount of flesh and blood on the ground, go to the second shot location and nothing, then the third and more flesh and blood. First thing I notice that there isn't much for blood and tracking will be difficult. I get to spot in the woods where I heard the crash and the no dead pig and the blood stopped, or I just couldn't pick up the trail again. I tracked for 3 hours and came up with a big goose egg.

This is the first time I have ever shot and hit anything and it got away. Usually if they run I find them about 100 yards into the woods. I am gonna go back out there Monday and see if I can pick up the trail again.

Last edited:

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What did you shoot him with?

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
O ya was using my 16" *** 6.8 SPC, with handload 120gr SST. This load and rifle have taken many animals including pigs.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, that should have some stopping power. Hogs are an interesting animal. I shot one at about 150 yards with my 30-06 perfect neck shot, followed a sideways vitals shot. I was using 168 TTSX and he got up and ran both times. Never did find him but saw him on a trail can a couple months later with a bald patch on his neck

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The only hog I have ever shot that laid down dead, then got up and ran away was w the 120SST...

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm still hoping to find one with a bullet in him from being shot before. Makes for an interesting story

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's amazing what they can take. Probably didn't phase it much since it lived. I'm amazed at the pictures I have seen and the stories of zombie pigs

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I shot one at 100 yards with a 150 grain soft point Winchester super X from a 300 win mag. I hit him in the shoulder. It broke one leg and exited just behind the other. I waited about 5 minutes and walked to about 20 yards, then tge hog gets up and starts walking away. So, my friend put a 62 grain m855 in his nugget. He quit walking then.

Good job on being patient prior to recovery. Not doing that has cost me a deer before while bow hunting. I was young and inexperienced. Too bad you couldn't find him. Buzzards make good rotten hog trackers.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Amazing critters, take a beating like that, and then wander off. And, that 120SST does some damage too.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
He was at least 250. But the buzzard will point me in the right direction Monday when I go back. They should have plenty to eat.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those big hogs seal back up so well. I'm amazed at some through and through shots that have no blood because the fat sealed them closed

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is your answer to the mystery lol

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't feel bad, just got back from "The Jungle". I have a spot on the river that is extremely thick so I cut trails and have bait buckets and traps here and there as well as a few homemade ladder stands. Sitting in my 20' high ladder stand tonight I hear a hog coming through the brush. I can see weeds moving and he steps out partially onto the trail I cut just 30 yds away. The Marlin 45-70 lets one rip, Dead hog? Nope, He was a big boar, took off like a bandit and crashed. I had shorts and slip on shoes on but figured he wasn't far, so I went in after him. After 15 minutes, no trace, I looked for blood but can't see blood anyways, but nothing. I could have thrown the gun and hit him, did I miss? No idea. I will look for the buzzards tomorrow and see. I don't miss often but this is a new gun and I have not shot it, yea I know but It was supposed to be dead on at 100 yds.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't miss often but this is a new gun and I have not shot it, yea I know but It was supposed to be dead on at 100 yds.
R'uh-Roh Shaggy !!!

scooby-doo-picture-Scooby_307.gif