Zeus, lawmate, audio

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Problem with upper end Lawmates, the PV-500EVO2 and PV-1000 Touch, is that they don't have built-in microphones for recording.

So I pulled one apart, see if I could power a microphone by using the bias of the Lawmate. Sure enough after some changes I wired inline with a cable an external microphone with the right specs to work well for recording audio when shooting. Complete with wind sock:

159026686.jpg

Did a quick video, not quite in focus, need to back down the mic sensitivity a little, but overall works well

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang,, nice work. You have the knack. That is very nice. Way to go. BANG BANG!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Impressed.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I fixed a couple other problems with distortion, lines and crosshairs, that took me awhile lol.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Since the two pieces screw together, in that configuration you can't screw them on. So what I do is file off a majority of the threads on the bottom piece, just enough that that two pieces have to be pressed together.

As in the picture, the upper piece I drill a hole for the appropriate sized cable. After assembly, I use black hot melt glue to fill from the top. Actually makes a stronger cable assembly.

medium.jpg

Just have to make sure before pressing the two pieces together, which I do in the vice between two pieces of aluminum, that you have the white mark lined up where you need it in orientation the cable, because it isn't coming back apart.

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I removed the wind sock and mic housing, less junk, and works as well. The black thing in the cable is an EMI filter.

159059622.jpg

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
The cable connector mod for 90' is nice.
I need to make a few along with a nice battery mount.
The franken 18650 batt pack I made works great but I would like to make one that looks like it belongs on a $6K plus thermal not just do the task at hand :D

Has the ferrite helped on the noise?
Which binder part number did you order?

I might try and make a punisher skull cap mold to cap it off.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I haven't been using the external battery pack, I've built a few, using that one that takes the two 18650 batteries runs the Zeus forever lol, I'm not even sure how long, but I just turn on the scope to shoot, but sucks when that battery indication is low or flashing.

As for the binder connection, I'm using the standard 8 pin male:

http://www.binder-usa.com/products/partsdetail/87748

159076630.jpg

I don't use the top piece in the picture. I take the middle piece and put against the flat surface of a cutting disc and then trim all the threads off, smooth out the top so it looks pretty lol, and then drill the hole to the appropriate sized cable I'm using.

On the connector portion where you solder the wires, I file off most of the threads, you don't want to make them perfectly smooth, but you want to get most of the threads off so it 'snaps' together when pressed. And believe me, once you press it together, it isn't coming apart again. I do it in a vice, between two pieces of aluminum. You have to make sure you have the white line on the soldered piece lined up correctly for the orientation you want prior to pressing.

159076627.jpg

After you strip and solder the connector, press together in the correct orientation. Make sure you pull slightly on the cable when pressing together so it is taking out the slack through the hole you drilled in it. After soldering I also put some hot melt around the wires where they are soldered, I wet my finger and thumb and press in all the way around just to make a nice bond but so that the holt melt glue doesn't get in the way of the two pieces when pressing together.

Once pressed together, I stick the holt melt glue gun tip in the connector and force in the glue, once it comes out the top, wet a finger again and press it down to smooth it out, let stand for awhile with the glue end facing up to allow it to cure, about 10 minutes.

As for the EMI/RF filter, it takes out some fuzziness in the recorded image. But for the Zeus, as we have discussed before, it has horizontal lines in the video with many DVR's. I went through many variations of filters with torroids, baluns, capacitors, etc. and finally found a combination that removes the horizontal lines. I had the Chinese take my design, build a small circuit board and enclose it for me. Works for the Zeus and Apollo I have tested it on.

Also, with the DVR I am using, with the filter, it always has the inner horizontal crosshairs. But even though its there, and when it does show up with other DVR's, which is once in awhile, the outer part that should be thicker, is not. I can live with that. I did speak with Armasight what I believed was the problem with their scope, I'll leave that out of here, it is my speculation based upon what I had to build for a filter.

If you do make a punisher skull cap you'll have to post up a picture lol. Need to make some sort of flat cap to put on top as to not change the length.

punisher-skull-patch.jpg