ZEROING the Pulsar XQ38 trail

jglass

LSB Member
I just left the gun range and not real happy. To begin with I zeroed the sight at home by bore sighting. I understand the fundamentals of zeroing but a few details are still unclear. I understand the auxiliary Cross
shown as X.. I learned how to position the X to the point of impact. From this point I'm somewhat lost.
I pressed the M and saved the position but cannot figure out how to exit the zeroing screen.

Ok, at the shooting range I made 2 shots that were high and to the left, kinda like the 10:00 o'clock position about 6" from the bullseye on the target. I went to the zeroing window and while holding the cross hairs over the bullseye I tried to move the auxiliary X to the 10:00 position. I figured it would take a couple of shots to get it exact. Next thing I know I'm know longer on the paper. I gave up, came home and back to bore sighting.

I think the problem is saving the zero and exiting the zero screen. I do not understand the FREEZE function at all.

I will say the manual is just about worthless. To many little details are skipped over. The manual was written by an expert but the end user is not an expert. Has there been a Pulsar user write there own manual in laymen terms? I learn from reading. At the moment I'm just pissed off. When I get it figured out I'll wonder why I had problems. Raining right now so I can't even bore sight now.

UPDATE: Have all my problems resolved and the Thermo scope is sighted in. Read on
for details.

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok this is how I do it.

I zero everything at 50 yards.

I scroll down to the zoom and zoom in. I take my first shot. If I can see the impact I use the freeze function. ( to use the freeze function hold the crosshairs right on the target hit freeze) now go up to the zero move the little x to the bullet impact point. Then all you do is hold the menu button down until it exits out. One shot zero.

jglass

LSB Member
Thanks, I'll work with it tomorrow. I'm getting close. After sundown I got out a laser bore sight
zeroed the scope in again. Since I was home I used a small zip lock bag with some warm water it for the thermo scope to see. I think I have it zeroed in. I'll test fire it later at the gun range.
I'm learning more and more as I work with it.

Last edited:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lawman answered your question about holding down the menu button to back out of each menu screen until you're completely out of the menu. Maybe this will help u navigate the rest. Good luck I zeroed my trail XQ38 yesterday with no issues other than finding that the large bulky mount that comes with it didn't hold zero from the last time I sighted it in. I ordered the D-loc for it from ultimate night vision. I'm confident that will return to zero quite well allowing me to zero it do 3 different rifles using the multiple preset zero saves. IMG_6583.JPG
Press and hold for:
1. Wifi on/off
2. Full menu
3. PiP mode (picture in picture)
4. Pic/video modes .. and to end and save current video
5. Scope on/off

Quick press/release for:
1. White hot/black hot
2. Quick menu
3. Zoom
4. Start recording/pause recording/resume recording same video, or take pic
5. NUC/calibrate

Pressing 5 until it starts the "scope off" count down and releasing before it fully counts down to zero will turn the screen off, but leave the scope on. I believe this saves battery life and with another quick press of the 5/power button the screen come right back on without having to wait for the scope to power up.

If u quick press #4 to start recording and want to stop recording and save that as a video u have to press and hold #4 for it to save that as its own file. If u only quick press #4 it will pause the video and when u press it again, it will continue recording as the same continuous video. If u turn off the scope without pressing and holding #4 to save it, it might delete the current/most recent video. Long pressing the #4 saves the video. Do this before turning off the scope when videoing.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lawman answered your question about holding down the menu button to back out of each menu screen until you're completely out of the menu. Maybe this will help u navigate the rest. Good luck I zeroed my trail XQ38 yesterday with no issues other than finding that the large bulky mount that comes with it didn't hold zero from the last time I sighted it in. I ordered the D-loc for it from ultimate night vision. I'm confident that will return to zero quite well allowing me to zero it do 3 different rifles using the multiple preset zero saves. View attachment 5573
Press and hold for:
1. Wifi on/off
2. Full menu
3. PiP mode (picture in picture)
4. Pic/video modes .. and to end and save current video
5. Scope on/off

Quick press/release for:
1. White hot/black hot
2. Quick menu
3. Zoom
4. Start recording/pause recording/resume recording same video, or take pic
5. NUC/calibrate

Pressing 5 until it starts the "scope off" count down and releasing before it fully counts down to zero will turn the screen off, but leave the scope on. I believe this saves battery life and with another quick press of the 5/power button the screen come right back on without having to wait for the scope to power up.

If u quick press #4 to start recording and want to stop recording and save that as a video u have to press and hold #4 for it to save that as its own file. If u only quick press #4 it will pause the video and when u press it again, it will continue recording as the same continuous video. If u turn off the scope without pressing and holding #4 to save it, it might delete the current/most recent video. Long pressing the #4 saves the video. Do this before turning off the scope when videoing.

Yea it does not return to zero. The new factory mount will though I tested it. Should be out soon.

jglass

LSB Member
Blakester, I have seen your post before and liked it so well I printed it , shrunk it down to post card size and have it laminated
in plastic to have handy in field. Made another one for the wireless remote and will make more on topics where I might need to
refresh my memory in a hurry.

Last edited:

Randy

Iowa
I would also like to thank you for these directions.

I rented a Trail from UNV and these directions allowed a "first timer" to zero the scope in. My previous 3 thermal hunts used guide assisted zeroed scopes.

jglass

LSB Member
Ok, home from the shooting range and a couple of things I learned. The scope mount clamps come loose quite easily. That little
thumb nut just doesn't do the job even though it has that little spring loaded dedent to prevent loosening. I think all it needs is a
decent screw and nut. Another mistake I was making was over correcting when zeroing. I think the arrow UP and Down keys need to be tapped about one or two times then make a test shot. Between the mounting coming loose and overcorrecting when zeroing I was like a dog chasing his tail.

I had a red dot scope that came loose every 10 to 15 shots even though I thought I was getting it tight. Come to the conclusion I needed to make a special screw driver with a heat treated tip and a handle that was knurled and 2" in diameter. It never came loose again after adequately torqued.

I did try the FREEZE function and that worked out real well, I like it.

I'm having a beer break at home right now. I'll re-engineer the scope mounting screws tonight. If I come up with something unique, I'll post pictures.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The more you are zoomed in while zeroing the less the actual POI shift will be from each click. So if at native 2.1x zoom, 1 click left moves the POI 1 inch (I don't know how much 1 click actually moves at native zoom but just using this as an example), zoomed in all the way at 8.4x with digital zoom one click left will only shift the POI 1/4 of an inch.
The same principle applies for the Ir Defense/Trijicon scopes. IMG_5766.JPG

jglass

LSB Member
The scope mounting has some sort of camlock arrangement where the scope is locked in place with finger lever. Would have been fine on a BB gun or .22 but I can't see how that will remain secure on a .300 blackout. I hate to think what those little parts cost when a nut and screw would have done a better job.

This is what I came up with. I made new clamps and tapped them 10-32, a washer for the opposite site and standard 10-32 SHCS. At the bottom is the clamp that came with the scope.

The clamp in place: I'll color the new parts black tomorrow

Last edited:

jglass

LSB Member
Custom made slotted screws with screw driver:

I just left the gun range and these screws did not come loose. I have it dialed in pretty good now. We shall see how well it holds zero. I went with slotted screws because the other sights I have are held in place with large slotted screws. Results in fewer tools to lug around.

I didn't change anything on the scope mount itself. It can be returned to the original cam lock
system at any time if need be. The screw heads are on the right side of the rifle. I have noticed most sights have mounting screws on the left side. Unsure if this important.

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Boy got skills!!!