Youth Deer Rifle Review

ranch fairy

61 Pigs had a bad day in 2016. Stay Tuned
Howdy,
We have a huge family so I get a chance to hunt with a lot of beginners. I get alot of questions about a good starter rifle for young people. IMHO it should be very low recoil, operate simply, and be a single single shot for safety. The H@R Ultra Varmint is excellent. Here's my review. Email me with any questions. I love to help build the sport and future outdoors folks!!
troy@ranchfairy.com

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is my pick for the "perfect" youth/starter,deer,hog,coyote rifle.IMG_20130824_092430_353.jpg This ia NEF Handi Rifle (the AAC version). It is <6lbs,31.5" long which includes the added AAC brake,and chambered in 300BLK.
My gun has a NEF Survivor forearm with a 2" pic rail installed for a small light.
A huge plus would be if the father reloads for this round. The variety of ammo/loads for these guns is huge. You can go from a plinker at <900fps to a killer at 2500fps. If you pick the right bullet,this chambering is plenty capable of taking the largest of hogs and deer to the coyote standing out at 300yds.
This gun cost $249. three years ago. --- pruhdlr

Last edited:

PreacherBoy

There are sure to be many opinions on a first gun, so here's mine. I bought my wife a Ruger American Ranch in 300 blk about a year ago for about $380. This little gun is super accurate shooting sub MOA at 100 yards with Hornady 125 gr hollow points. It is a bolt gun so the safety issue of a single shot is covered and the 300 blk recoil is non-intimidating. As a plus, the barrel is threaded just in case a suppressor ever makes it to the top of my list. I topped it with a Vortex 3 x 9, added a pink Muddy Girl sling, and the little lady is ready to go. The only other bolt 300 blk that comes to mind is The Remington for $650 or so. There are a few bolt 7.62 x 39 but they are pricey as well. Again, just my opinion, I hope this helps someone else.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Got a RAR in 300BLK also. Have shot many groups of <.500" @ 50yds. Several in the mid .300's.
I shoot the Barnes 110gr black tips in mine and with proper shot placement,slays the bigger hogs. Mine is the 12.5" LOP version. The trigger has been taken down to about 2.5lbs. --- pruhdlrDSC01064.JPG