Your Thermal Zero

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just curious what range you zero'd your weapons mounted thermal scope and why?
Also what type of group were you maintain with your thermal at that distance.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I zero mine at 100 yards and check impact at 50. I shoot a 6.8 and still get MOA groups. I'm able to take hogs out to 200 with this set up.

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I zero everything at 5o yds.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
50 yards, gets you much closer to 0 at 200, even with the blackout believe it or not. Then I'm a little over an inch high at 100 and 2 inches or so low at 200. 1-2.5 inch groups at 100 with the xd50a depending on the ambient conditions and how crisp my target looks

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I zero at 100. Most of my shots are between 80 and 150 its close enough for both

JPK

LSB Active Member
I zero everything at 5o yds.

I opt for the 50/200 + or - zero for all of my AR's because most of my shooting, day or night, is around 50yds or so and the 50/200+ or -zero has manageable rise between 50 and 200yds, manageable drop to 225-250yds.

My bolt rifles are all zero'd 2" high at 100yds for effective point blank shooting from close to as far as I'm typically willing to shoot at a living creature. Its remarkable how similar the exterior ballistics are of the 243, 257R, 308 and 30-06 within what I consider hunting range. Even the 375H&H and the slower 9.3x62 aren't much different.

JPK

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I believe in zeroing at the distance for which you are most likely going to be shooting. So I zero at 100 yards.

I know it is standard for many folks to zero at 200 (2" high at 100) and I think that is great if most of your shooting is at 200 yards. This is what 2" high at 100 happens to your perfect head shot you when you forget you are 2" high and your target is at 80.

I find it a lot easier to remember to correct for the rare shots that are more distant than to be constantly correctly for the close shots that may have more time constraint associated with them.

DSC00052reduced.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
all my scopes are sighted in at 50yds and verified at 100 and sometimes 200 just for fun...my ranges are 40-150yds

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ok Brian whats the story on side mohawk hog.... bwhaahahahaha

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
50 yards for the night vision setup and 100 yards for day setups

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My hunting partner did that with his .308 when we were on a sounder of hogs. I asked if he was aiming at the ear and he said something specific like, "I had the crosshairs just below the ear." I asked where he was zeroed and he said 200 yards. The hogs were at 80-85 yards, so his shot went high, but as he pointed out, he didn't miss. It it wasn't for followup shots, that hog would be reproducing today, LOL.