Your baiting/hunting frequency of a spot(s)

LSB Active Member
Since the next 5 weeks will be no hunting and setting up a few new hog areas and tweaking some old reliable stands it dawned on me I might want to check with the brain trust here on any kinds of rotations you use. If there is one thing I'm convinced of it's the I, me big dummy, have not been able to detect a single pattern with hogs. Just when I think I've got them on a pattern poof they are gone like a fart in the wind! Except during rifle season they are super predictable as soon as a shooter buck shows up on cam guaranteed the hogs will blow it up within hours.

My modus operandi has been finding good stands with winds that work for that night and plopping down. I've stopped paying attention to what's on cams unless they are just empty, but that hasn't happened yet. What's your method to the madness? How are you deciding where you will sit that evening?

We have 15 club stands, 3 shooting houses and my buddy and I have a few climbers scattered around. We are going to prep 2 new areas with climbers that are just chock full of wallows, beds, poop and rubs. Going to bury kitchen scraps from the restaurant/bakery next door, scratch posts, timed feeder and roll barrels with Frank's cowbells. We have another 8 stands that produce hogs at any moment for no rhyme or reason we can figure out which are nothing but timed feeders....going to put 2 roll barrels at the 2 hottest ones. We are also going to put a roll barrel about 50 yards out in a field off a wet head of oaks that always holds them so we can maybe get a few extra shots.

Thermals coming in the next couple of months. Not sure if my details here will help devise a better plan than what we use, but feel free to say whatever you think. It's basically us 2 trying to kill the hogs this summer the other guys don't like the heat of the summer, rain etc. We have some hoggin to do I just wanna make sure we are going at it with a better/the best approach. Thanks

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One thing in summer is that because the sun is so high overhead that they need more canopy with full time shade for bedding, can be a real thick thicket but that sun will kill them if directly on them. I have had them die in a trap in direct summer sunlight in just hours especially wet sows.

LSB Active Member
No kidding? Wow I knew they didn't 'like it' per se, but dang. That is actually a big help to know I had no idea they could die like that and the crazy hot days are coming.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's a good time to stalk too because they will stay put rather than run, I have weedeated (a word?) and hand mowed w/in 15' of bedded hogs in the thick stuff in the summer. Running is their last choice so you can often get very close. Find a thick spot and stand their glassing it for a long time, they get down at ground level in the dirt so hard to see from just feet away sometimes.

LSB Active Member
Wow that is great to know b/c we have some very dark, shady completely blotted out areas near the swamp. My new Danner's are arriving tomorrow....need a fresh set of snake boots b/f I head into the swamp. Thanks RD

chthump

LSB Member
I frequent where they frequent, yep, no pattern, but if they like a certain area, it may take a 4 or 5 trips/days but evidently there luck will run out, the location is more seasonal where i hunt

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
this is where an Electric vehicle is the best moving back and forth between all stands. I hve solar motion lights on my feeders and can see them light up 800 yds away when animals are there

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hogs need shade and water. If you put your bait nearby, you should have some success. I think that it is possible to keep them in an area, but beyond that, its a crap shoot. Timed feeders work, but after a night or two of seeing their buddies get shot, they will avoid the feeders. They will wander the earth in search of food, so they might be at your feeder one night and 3 miles away the next.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
this is where an Electric vehicle is the best moving back and forth between all stands. I hve solar motion lights on my feeders and can see them light up 800 yds away when animals are there

Good idea! But, I don't think my lights would ever turn off for the number of coons I have at the bait stations.

I really need to get into coon hunting.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah but it is fun to walk over and see what turned the lights on and cuts the boredom of sitting in a stand all night. I have 8 bait areas but only turn 3 on I can monitor from 1 location and those also have plots, feeders, roll barrels and scratching posts.

LSB Active Member
yeah but it is fun to walk over and see what turned the lights on and cuts the boredom of sitting in a stand all night. I have 8 bait areas but only turn 3 on I can monitor from 1 location and those also have plots, feeders, roll barrels and scratching posts.

Frank how do you envision your hunting will change once you get thermal? If it's 100% stand time now do you think you will sit till dark and then on foot/mobile the rest of the night? That's another component I've been pondering once mine gets here. I have a lot of motivation to spend little to no time sitting early on b/c it seems like every time I head home in the dark I see so much activity in the fields. Problem is now I see their butts when I light them up with a buggy they are going the wrong direction at 20mph.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I sit in the middle stand and can see the lights and cams flash with digital night vision now for 3 feed stations so I wait till I see activity and move. With thermal I will walk and drive the truck to heads of other areas and scan and wait then move or dismount and track my quarry. I will also call more for hogs and yotes.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just when I think I've got them on a pattern poof they are gone like a fart in the wind!
Sometimes, when on a healthy kick, I eat broccoli, kidney beans and egg whites. Even the wind can't carry my farts away then. Sorry my advice stinks...

LSB Active Member
Sometimes, when on a healthy kick, I eat broccoli, kidney beans and egg whites. Even the wind can't carry my farts away then. Sorry my advice stinks...

Gott sniff check b/f you leave the house dude it matters. I woke myself up back in Feb about 545am got wedged into my new climber like a sofa decided to sack out til sun up. Had my thermal bibs on and the fart crawled up my bibs, up my neck gaiter and right into my nose and woke me up. Was horrific.

D

djones

barf_zpsyl8t5uth.gif